The Collectible Card Petition - Manufacturing & Distribution

General hobby related news and discussion
Deadshot
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

The Collectible Card Petition - Manufacturing & Distribution

Post by Deadshot »

I saw this posted on social media today. I appreciate the effort, so I thought I'd share it here.

https://chng.it/LDG4VGCFcm
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: The Collectible Card Petition - Manufacturing & Distribution

Post by mindcycle »

Thanks for posting here man. I saw this earlier today as well and signed it.

Here's the petition in full for those interested.

https://chng.it/BRBQHfZNNf
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
frisbeesteve
HB Member

Post by frisbeesteve »

An interesting concept for sure, but I'm not crazy about its execution.

It comes across to me as arrogant and pretty demanding, as if Fanatics "owes collectors" something. They don't. That being said, I do hope that Fanatics will make a good faith effort to keep tabs on the pulse of the hobby, and be ready and willing to be flexible if and when they see enough dislike for certain things that they are trying or doing. It seems like there are plenty of pros and cons already, regarding their hobby takeover. Here's hoping that we as collectors and consumers, will be able to influence them to grow the pros and shrink the cons.

Not holding my breath, but remaining hopeful nonetheless.
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

frisbeesteve wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:00 am An interesting concept for sure, but I'm not crazy about its execution.

It comes across to me as arrogant and pretty demanding, as if Fanatics "owes collectors" something. They don't. That being said, I do hope that Fanatics will make a good faith effort to keep tabs on the pulse of the hobby, and be ready and willing to be flexible if and when they see enough dislike for certain things that they are trying or doing. It seems like there are plenty of pros and cons already, regarding their hobby takeover. Here's hoping that we as collectors and consumers, will be able to influence them to grow the pros and shrink the cons.

Not holding my breath, but remaining hopeful nonetheless.
I kind of feel like if I wrote it it would be a lot harsher even 😂 but I totally get what you mean. I’m hoping this is followed up after awhile with more suggestions, or maybe broken down a bit more. Keep it relevant with current events and in collectors minds. People in this hobby tend to quickly forget any wrongdoings by manufacturers after a week or so. Just stick that flashy new Prizm pink sparkle mojo dust parallel in front of them, they go back to spending money on overpriced junk, and all is forgiven.
frisbeesteve
HB Member

Post by frisbeesteve »

mindcycle wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:38 pm I kind of feel like if I wrote it it would be a lot harsher even 😂 but I totally get what you mean. I’m hoping this is followed up after awhile with more suggestions, or maybe broken down a bit more. Keep it relevant with current events and in collectors minds. People in this hobby tend to quickly forget any wrongdoings by manufacturers after a week or so. Just stick that flashy new Prizm pink sparkle mojo dust parallel in front of them, they go back to spending money on overpriced junk, and all is forgiven.
I agree, the memories and/or attention spans of many in the hobby don't last very long, and/or they are just overcome with addiction/FOMO to add the next card to their collection. I can at least somewhat sympathize, as I'm not willing to completely boycott modern cardboard's sole source (Panini today, Fanatics tomorrow), despite evidence of plenty of mistakes and even some downright neglect. I think that the best that we can hope for is to stay alert, and make noise (both good and bad) when actors in the space do good and bad things. Praise the good, and call out the bad, without a goal to either immortalize or cancel someone.

I know this probably sounds silly in such a polarizing day and age, but I hope and actually even believe that eventually, fair and balanced minds will prevail. Not every right or wrong will necessarily receive its appropriate attention and reactions, but the aggregate will be able to be sorted out and judged by the masses, especially if they have some leadership that isn't determined to follow a specific agenda to see card values skyrocket or tank.
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

Was this drafted by one guy or was it more of a collaborative deal?

Wonder if he/they are open to some tweaks, but as Kyle mentioned I do appreciate the effort.
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Been liked: 51 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

frisbeesteve wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:36 am
mindcycle wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:38 pm I kind of feel like if I wrote it it would be a lot harsher even 😂 but I totally get what you mean. I’m hoping this is followed up after awhile with more suggestions, or maybe broken down a bit more. Keep it relevant with current events and in collectors minds. People in this hobby tend to quickly forget any wrongdoings by manufacturers after a week or so. Just stick that flashy new Prizm pink sparkle mojo dust parallel in front of them, they go back to spending money on overpriced junk, and all is forgiven.
I agree, the memories and/or attention spans of many in the hobby don't last very long, and/or they are just overcome with addiction/FOMO to add the next card to their collection. I can at least somewhat sympathize, as I'm not willing to completely boycott modern cardboard's sole source (Panini today, Fanatics tomorrow), despite evidence of plenty of mistakes and even some downright neglect. I think that the best that we can hope for is to stay alert, and make noise (both good and bad) when actors in the space do good and bad things. Praise the good, and call out the bad, without a goal to either immortalize or cancel someone.

I know this probably sounds silly in such a polarizing day and age, but I hope and actually even believe that eventually, fair and balanced minds will prevail. Not every right or wrong will necessarily receive its appropriate attention and reactions, but the aggregate will be able to be sorted out and judged by the masses, especially if they have some leadership that isn't determined to follow a specific agenda to see card values skyrocket or tank.
I like your tempered response. I think we can all agree that every card manufacturer during their time did some good and bad things in terms of design, production, distribution, etc. At the end of the day if someone cares about the cards themselves, rather than their current or prospective value, there will always be good looking cards to collect of their favorite players/teams.
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

The guy who created this went a bit stupid on IG last week and started calling out “negative” voices. 🤦‍♂️
frisbeesteve
HB Member

Post by frisbeesteve »

What's his IG handle?
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

mindcycle wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:05 am The guy who created this when a bit stupid on IG last week and started calling out “negative” voices. 🤦‍♂️
Yea we’re gonna need a new petitioner :lol:
frisbeesteve wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:22 am What's his IG handle?
@eephus_pitch
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

darz90scardz wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:03 pm
mindcycle wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:05 am The guy who created this when a bit stupid on IG last week and started calling out “negative” voices. 🤦‍♂️
Yea we’re gonna need a new petitioner :lol:
frisbeesteve wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:22 am What's his IG handle?
@eephus_pitch
The one thing that really ruins the new “influencer” hobby landscape is ego. I honestly didn’t mind all the talking heads at first once the pandemic hit, but too many of those guys wanted to portray expertise and experience when there really was none. Or with this eephus_pitch guy, look at the hobby with a singular viewpoint and mock everything else. It’s not black and white.

The collectors making hobby content I respect the most typically have an opinion and are willing to speak up if needed, but aren’t close minded. The whole negative label trend is so tiring at this point. Labeling others as negative appears to quite often be an attempt to appeal to the “positive” creators/influencers, trying to get your foot into the industry, and less to do with that persons real viewpoint. It’s drama for the sake of drama. “Hey, look at me!”