What do we know so far about fanatics?

General hobby related news and discussion
benxcrunner1
HB Member

What do we know so far about fanatics?

Post by benxcrunner1 »

Just curious if you guys know when the licenses end for panini, and what products we can expect from Fanatics. Will there still be unlicensed cards from Panini similar to what upper deck does?

Also do we expect more autos and crazy shield / logoman cards to keep flooding the market?
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: What do we know so far about fanatics?

Post by mindcycle »

benxcrunner1 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:24 pm Just curious if you guys know when the licenses end for panini, and what products we can expect from Fanatics. Will there still be unlicensed cards from Panini similar to what upper deck does?

Also do we expect more autos and crazy shield / logoman cards to keep flooding the market?
So I believe that Fanatics will have the basketball license in 2026 if i'm not mistaken. Unless they negotiate with Panini to grab it sooner..

They are apparently planning to release Topps basketball cards next season, but that will likely either be unlicensed retired players similar to the previous 2012 Finest release (https://www.cardboardconnection.com/202 ... ball-cards), or players not in the NBA yet. We'll see how it goes, but if it's just retired players in suits or something i'm not all that excited tbh. :lol: Maybe if they can get some guys we know who will be drafted next year that could be kind of cool. I guess we'll see how it pans out.

https://clutchpoints.com/sports-cards-n ... pps-launch

As far as crazy shield/logoman cards, I can only imagine those will increase. Fanatics seems to be focusing on controlling the breaking/gambling side of the hobby and the big "hit" cards is how they will promote that segment IMO. We also may see a memorabilia dump from Panini like UD did the last two years of their license. Logomans /15 anyone? :lol:
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
benxcrunner1
HB Member

Post by benxcrunner1 »

Thanks Ryan, do you know when the football license runs out for Panini? I'm kind of interested to see what happens to the GU and Auto market after Fanactics get the licenses and if Panini releases a ton of product like you said above. I learned recently from a wise collector that most people see auto cards the same regardless of year (excluding rookie) but are more likely to want all of the different years for a card like a prizm gold. Hopefully it doesn't tank values for everyone but I will admit I wouldn't mind picking up some cool looking cards if they do.
dengbang
HB Supporter
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by dengbang »

mindcycle wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:47 pm We also may see a memorabilia dump from Panini like UD did the last two years of their license. Logomans /15 anyone? :lol:
Those were good times, I remember some selling for sub $100. Let's see if Panini can replicate that so we can pick up some cheap ones.
Deadshot
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Deadshot »

dengbang wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:29 pm
mindcycle wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:47 pm We also may see a memorabilia dump from Panini like UD did the last two years of their license. Logomans /15 anyone? :lol:
Those were good times, I remember some selling for sub $100. Let's see if Panini can replicate that so we can pick up some cheap ones.
On the flipside, I'm wondering if Panini won't try to keep them and make an unlicensed set loaded up with killer jumbo patches. If done right, it could be a big hit still.
dengbang
HB Supporter
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by dengbang »

Deadshot wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:19 pm On the flipside, I'm wondering if Panini won't try to keep them and make an unlicensed set loaded up with killer jumbo patches. If done right, it could be a big hit still.
That would be waste of incredible patches in my opinion. Not knowing what Fanatics is planning to do, I'm not so sure it would be wise for Panini to hold onto inventory. Make some cards like the Silhouette Patch Autos with the remaining jumbo patches and I'll be a happy man.
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

Deadshot wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:19 pm On the flipside, I'm wondering if Panini won't try to keep them and make an unlicensed set loaded up with killer jumbo patches. If done right, it could be a big hit still.
dengbang wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:02 pm That would be waste of incredible patches in my opinion. Not knowing what Fanatics is planning to do, I'm not so sure it would be wise for Panini to hold onto inventory. Make some cards like the Silhouette Patch Autos with the remaining jumbo patches and I'll be a happy man.
Both good points. I still wonder if Fantics will swoop in and either buy that stuff up, or acquire the Panini America division before the contract expires. I'm sure they've tired.

I just hope whoever gets a hold of the existing memorabilia does something decent with it.
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards