Let's take a moment to appreciate differently licensed cards

Basketball cards and sports talk
Smalltown
HB Member

Let's take a moment to appreciate differently licensed cards

Post by Smalltown »

Boom times like we just experienced and like we had in the 90s gives way to a plethora of non mainstream companies and sets. The differently licensed sets. I don't like to call them unlicensed because it's usually neither fair or true. Players likenesses, memorabilia or autos are usually all used under licensing agreements by the individuals or groups. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and that's cool. But these sets can offer an affordable place in the hobby and put some really interesting pieces into the hands of collectors.

I know there are those of you in the forum who have some crazy or interesting differently licensed cards so let's see them. Leaf, UD, Wild Card, Classic, Onyx, Sports Illustrated, President's Choice and whatever else might be out there.

I'll start with one of my favourites. I knew I had to have a copy of this card as soon as I saw it for a couple reasons. Firstly Zeke was my favorite player growing up and the Pistons were my team. He's unbelievably underrated. Easily a top 10 PG of all time and IMO higher than that. Being paired up with Curry, another top 10 PG was another big reason. But looking closer. The piece of memorabilia used for for Curry is a Shooting shirt from the NBA Finals (confirmed by a Leaf employee). I can't sniff a Curry finals piece of mem in a Panini product - but here i was able to pick up a beautiful low numbered card.

Anyways. I can't wait to see what the rest of you share and why you picked them up.

Collecting: Raptors, Canadian Basketball Players, Vintage & More.
PC: https://www.instagram.com/smalltown.cards/
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Let's take a moment to appreciate differently licensed cards

Post by SacKingsCards »

I agree with you on all levels, but mostly that these cards offer an affordable way to get some really unique items into your collection. Case in point on that Curry Finals worn memorabilia. I don't have any of these cards myself just because they're not really on my radar, and I feel like the emphasis is on the player with the lack of team logos, so as a team collector they just don't tend to fit in my collection.
Smalltown
HB Member

Post by Smalltown »

Definitely true they tend to lean player. But at times they do a pretty good job highlighting a city or multiple players from one team. I think with these types of cards you definitely have to be more picky.

SHowley2003
HB Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by SHowley2003 »

I love unlicensed stuff for jumbo game worn patches. I've got a few sticker auto cards of amateur athletes, or stuff that was available through the NIL before the player turned pro, but for the most part, my focus is the patches.

I've got these 3 President Choice 1/1s from a pair of warm-up pants during the 2000-2002 timeframe. I had a chance at the Shamrock emblem from the same pants, but lost out on it. Some more buttons from these pants have been up for sale recently on eBay, but they have sold for significantly more than I would be willing to pay. The unlicensed stuff has to be a significant patch for a very steep discounted price compared to what the similar relic would sell for in a licensed product for me to be interested. Recent sales have been higher than a Panini version of the same patch would sell for.

[url=[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/529 ... bf09a6.jpg[/img]
@SHowley2003
Deadshot
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Deadshot »

SHowley2003 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:28 pm I love unlicensed stuff for jumbo game worn patches. I've got a few sticker auto cards of amateur athletes, or stuff that was available through the NIL before the player turned pro, but for the most part, my focus is the patches.

I've got these 3 President Choice 1/1s from a pair of warm-up pants during the 2000-2002 timeframe. I had a chance at the Shamrock emblem from the same pants, but lost out on it. Some more buttons from these pants have been up for sale recently on eBay, but they have sold for significantly more than I would be willing to pay. The unlicensed stuff has to be a significant patch for a very steep discounted price compared to what the similar relic would sell for in a licensed product for me to be interested. Recent sales have been higher than a Panini version of the same patch would sell for.
Smalltown
HB Member

Post by Smalltown »

SHowley2003 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:28 pm I love unlicensed stuff for jumbo game worn patches. I've got a few sticker auto cards of amateur athletes, or stuff that was available through the NIL before the player turned pro, but for the most part, my focus is the patches.

I've said it before but these are great!

Smalltown
HB Member

Post by Smalltown »

Staying with the "I'd never be able to afford the NBA version..."

This Curry 1/1 is a perfect piece of nostalgia for me wrapped up in gold vinyl or as Leaf calls it Superprismatic. The throwback 1992 style was just too much to ignore.

SHowley2003
HB Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by SHowley2003 »

I know this isn’t a basketball card, but it needs to be shared here. Time to do some research to see what “game” this was used in. I assume he threw out a first pitch or something and they took something he was wearing.

@SHowley2003
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

SHowley2003 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:28 pm I know this isn’t a basketball card, but it needs to be shared here. Time to do some research to see what “game” this was used in. I assume he threw out a first pitch or something and they took something he was wearing.

That's pretty awesome man, lol.
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

You haven’t lived until you’ve refracted atomically in 1993 thanks to ACEO Technologies Inc. It was a product ahead of its time… by 3 years. Miss me with that 1996 Bowman’s Best.

@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums