90s parallel?

Basketball cards and sports talk
siuwongkee
HB Supporter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

90s parallel?

Post by siuwongkee »

I have been looking at the sales of 90s parallel. It occurs to me, despite people have been saying we are having a crash of sports cards price, top 10 parallels from 97-99 are doing very ok. In a way the value has been increasing, for instance, very recently a Grant Hill PSA Authentic PMG was sold at 14k when the same card was sold 4k something last Nov.

I see people discussing what cards are safe else where. What do you guys think about the price of 90s parallels?
FB: siuwongkee
IG: siuwongkee
green_stiller
HB Member
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: 90s parallel?

Post by green_stiller »

There have been really strong showings for rare 99-00 parallels. Someone has been unloading a Gold Label red label set over the past few months on eBay and they seem to only be increasing. Things like Rubies from that year continue to do well and even platinum medallions appear to be holding/increasing.

It only takes two collectors to drive a price though!
Primary chase - Lamar Odom RC set
PC - Lamar Odom
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

Naz-nubzz on IG has been buying up a lot of the PMGs, rubies, and essential credentials cards (among others) for the past year or two chasing sets. He pays really strong for them and I've sold a few cards to him myself. I see a post pretty much every day from him with stacks of rare 90's stuff. If one of these cards pops up for auction I have to imagine he's going pretty strong after it, so when it's said it only takes two to drive up prices he's probably one of the two, lol.

I will say that i've also seen him help other collectors secure big cards for their PC as well so while he may be single-handedly driving up prices in some cases, he's also helping get cards into people's PCs.

There's also been a large influx of collectors who got back into cards these past few years. A lot of these people were 90's collectors who may have gotten caught up in the flip game in 2020/21, but nowadays are trying to pick up rare stuff from the 90's instead. This likely increased demand for these cards as well as there truly are only so many to go around.
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

These are interesting takes because I can't seem to sell any of my super high end 90s stuff. First I'm told it's over priced, then I look at actual sales numbers of hobby comparable players and they're selling through the roof.

A friend of mine was helping me sell cards and I moved a Credentials for right near what I wanted to get, raw, didn't even know who the buyer was. Turned out to be Naz's brother, no B.S., no low-balling, just a straight deal. So, hats off to him, great to deal with.

Naz himself and a few others have low-balled me big time, all high end guys. I've never been low-balled so much in my life than when dealing with high end.

Do you guys think that 90s will overtake stuff like Ultimate and Exquisite at some point? ...or is that already happening? I don't really pay attention like I used to, but I've seen Exquisite and Ultimate sell low when on auction and the listings just stink up eBay when they're BIN / high priced compared to actual finished auction sales.
dengbang
HB Supporter
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by dengbang »

AbraCalabro wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:52 pm Do you guys think that 90s will overtake stuff like Ultimate and Exquisite at some point? ...or is that already happening? I don't really pay attention like I used to, but I've seen Exquisite and Ultimate sell low when on auction and the listings just stink up eBay when they're BIN / high priced compared to actual finished auction sales.
Personally, I think many of the top 90's inserts/parallels have already overtaken most Ultimate Collection and Exquisite cards. Auto and patch cards can be produced every year but the most expensive inserts were only from 4 seasons of basketball (96-97,97-98,98-99,99-00). Will it be that way in 10 years? That's the question. The kids growing up today might not be interested in inserts at all.
siuwongkee
HB Supporter

Post by siuwongkee »

green_stiller wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:32 am
Not so sure about 99-00. Because my focus is 97-98 and 98-99. (I only have cards from these 2 years) And facutally speaking. The value of 1997 is way stronger. (E.g 97 and 98 PMG or E-x2001 and EX century) Star Rubies seems like the only exceptional. (Maybe because 1998 star rubies has an unified gold color background for the base sets)
mindcycle wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:41 am
He is a very nice guy. When I showed a low-mid end card, he instantly contacted me. Polite and nice. I am new to the hobby, I have a fair share of experience from TCG collectors, most of them are rude and arrogant.
AbraCalabro wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:52 pm
I am not in a way to say the Ultimate and Exquisite because I have zero understanding to them. I have been doing my research on 97-98 and 98-99 cards. PMG are doing especially OK. People are willing to sell their collection. (This is quite important, demand and supply) For other sets like Star Rubies, Essential Now and Future, it seems like collectors are still holding that. I see a decent amount of 97 Team Skybox Rubies but I suspect some are faked. (The Michael Jordan one on Ebay now looks very very fake)

dengbang wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:55 pm
AbraCalabro wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:52 pm

You are 100% right. Like I shared else where. We have way too many one of one of too many. And the patch and auto, we can look at how 98-99 UD Jersey cards have been under performed. (Of cos they are not as eye catching as the later ones, but it is a good reference)

Whether the inserts will hold value in 10/20/30 years, I guess different from the vintage sets, as long as card companies keep printing 80/90/00 stars on their sets and they keep SOME values, people will look into who they are and whether they mean something. (Of cos it does not necessary means value will be kept) And in the end, unlike high inserts, these parallels, they are how they are.

If you want a decent grades, and like you said collectors from the 90s are already coming back, the supply will decrease eventually. And this just takes a very small community to pump the price. When the price is pumped, people will take notice and want a share of it.

But in the end, these are speculations, even in stock market, we have only inductive arguments for things. To me, I am buying 90s cards now and comparing with spending on apps (I think if I had not spent on apps likely woow, better dont think) I am ok with like today I pay $100. 10 years it becomes $50.
siuwongkee
HB Supporter

Post by siuwongkee »

Just saw the result from Goldin auction. Green Oneal has sold at 170k and both Barkley and Rodman are over 25k. The supply and demand of PMG is really strong. I see many collectors willing to sell their PMG. (Like the new PWCC weekly auction there will be 4 to 5 PMG on the lot) It seems like the other top 10 sets are not having the same treatment. E.G. E-X2001 now and future, 97-98 98-99 Star Rubies, 1999 PMG. I hardly see sellers willing to put those on the market, especially the lower serialised E-X2001, I basically never see those limited lower than 20 ever on the market. (I know the sets was completed but still, it is weird) Will love to see whether what the current 1997 PMG will do to the 90s high end inserts.
Smalltown
HB Member

Post by Smalltown »

siuwongkee wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:13 amtop 10 parallels from 97-99 are doing very ok. In a way the value has been increasing... I see people discussing what cards are safe else where. What do you guys think about the price of 90s parallels?
There's a lot of consolidation going on in the hobby right now. A lot of liquidation with those funds then being pushed into certain cards or sets that are perceived as "safer".

Collecting: Raptors, Canadian Basketball Players, Vintage & More.
PC: https://www.instagram.com/smalltown.cards/
siuwongkee
HB Supporter

Post by siuwongkee »

Smalltown wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:54 am
siuwongkee wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:13 amtop 10 parallels from 97-99 are doing very ok. In a way the value has been increasing... I see people discussing what cards are safe else where. What do you guys think about the price of 90s parallels?
There's a lot of consolidation going on in the hobby right now. A lot of liquidation with those funds then being pushed into certain cards or sets that are perceived as "safer".
I think this is kinda weird people have to put their funds into cards. I mean it is ok to put a small part of the money into alt assets. (Like watches/wine/jewels) But why sports cards only? Maybe like the tcg collectors from my shops, they feel they know the market better. (And I do agree 90s cards do have the appeal)
Smalltown
HB Member

Post by Smalltown »

siuwongkee wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:19 amI think this is kinda weird people have to put their funds into cards. I mean it is ok to put a small part of the money into alt assets. (Like watches/wine/jewels) But why sports cards only? Maybe like the tcg collectors from my shops, they feel they know the market better. (And I do agree 90s cards do have the appeal)
I think it's as simple as cards are what they like most and even if things are sliding and they have maybe lost some interest. They still want to keep a foothold in the hobby.

Collecting: Raptors, Canadian Basketball Players, Vintage & More.
PC: https://www.instagram.com/smalltown.cards/
siuwongkee
HB Supporter

Post by siuwongkee »

Smalltown wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:26 am
siuwongkee wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:19 amI think this is kinda weird people have to put their funds into cards. I mean it is ok to put a small part of the money into alt assets. (Like watches/wine/jewels) But why sports cards only? Maybe like the tcg collectors from my shops, they feel they know the market better. (And I do agree 90s cards do have the appeal)
I think it's as simple as cards are what they like most and even if things are sliding and they have maybe lost some interest. They still want to keep a foothold in the hobby.
Sounds legit. Like my friends think Konami had done some ridiculous reprint he just sold everything and put that on pokemon.
MAMASCOOKINPC
HB Member

Post by MAMASCOOKINPC »

The crash is overblown. Yea there’s a crash for investment type cards like rookies, high grades rc’s etc but in my daily searches for marbury, the prices are as high as they ever been. In some cases, even higher. I’ll say the non rare stuff has come down a bit but case hits and numbered 90s are way up.
PC:
BIG KWAME BROWN (Anything I’m missing)
Shawn Kemp (90s inserts only)
Marbury (PSA graded cards and a few 90s Monsters)
IG: @mamascookinpc
siuwongkee
HB Supporter

Post by siuwongkee »

MAMASCOOKINPC wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:58 pm The crash is overblown. Yea there’s a crash for investment type cards like rookies, high grades rc’s etc but in my daily searches for marbury, the prices are as high as they ever been. In some cases, even higher. I’ll say the non rare stuff has come down a bit but case hits and numbered 90s are way up.
From the result from CL. I think MJ's card has a slight decrease in prices. Both 97 PMG and CPMG had dropped some % from the last sales. You can say that those 2 cards are having worse BGS gradings but in 20-22, we see plenty of cases that since the card we talk about are quite rare. (50-100) Even a PSA 4 had a better price than a BGS9.

Anyhow, I am not really sure about how the market will be 10-20 years later, what I can say is, sets most people chase could be viewed as a part of the hobby history. (Like 97 UD Jersey is having better price than 98 UD) Because they were the creation of junk wax era. We cannot say every players of 90s of these sets will have a huge meaning. But I still feel these sets will be remembered and some players also. (If card companies in the upcoming years will keep printing these ICONIC cards in their sets, I believe might also affect the price of these 90s as well)

In the end this is what I believe, these are not investments but no body want to collect junks. (well some might) As collectors, the topic is more or less testing our insight towards the market. (Like I am very bear regarding the panini era cards from recent years) If they turn out grate, good for those whom collect those, if not, it just makes me feel, oh maybe I know something of what I like
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

MAMASCOOKINPC wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:58 pm The crash is overblown. Yea there’s a crash for investment type cards like rookies, high grades rc’s etc but in my daily searches for marbury, the prices are as high as they ever been. In some cases, even higher. I’ll say the non rare stuff has come down a bit but case hits and numbered 90s are way up.
I see you collect Shawn Kemp, I have some highly coveted, rare 90s inserts if you're interested.
MAMASCOOKINPC
HB Member

Post by MAMASCOOKINPC »

AbraCalabro wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:53 pm
I see you collect Shawn Kemp, I have some highly coveted, rare 90s inserts if you're interested.
Yeah let me see what you have. Message me when you got a chance.
PC:
BIG KWAME BROWN (Anything I’m missing)
Shawn Kemp (90s inserts only)
Marbury (PSA graded cards and a few 90s Monsters)
IG: @mamascookinpc