So, where are you guys buying your cards these days?

Basketball cards and sports talk
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

So, where are you guys buying your cards these days?

Post by AbraCalabro »

I thought the market was dead. Things are listed on eBay for emphatically high prices and everyone thinks their cards are the rarest, most sought after trinkets in the known galaxy. What's up?
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: So, where are you guys buying your cards these days?

Post by mindcycle »

I’m mostly just throwing low snipe bids out on eBay nowadays hoping to occasionally get a decent deal. I’ve also been letting a lot of stuff go. Like you said, a lot of guys are over leveraged right now from buying at the peak so it’s a bit of a crap shoot. I don’t even bother with most BIN auctions that are 10x over reasonable prices, those guys aren’t going to budge. At least not yet.

Other than eBay I’ll occasionally trade via IG, or in person at a card show. We seem to have a decent show around the Denver area every few months. Fun to do deals in person.
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

In the last year or so I’ve picked up slightly more stuff on IG than eBay. Apparently there’s some pretty poppin’ 90s Facebook sales groups as well but I’ve still never bothered to make an account.

With IG it was mostly Penny hoarders dumping their stuff to me. Right place right time in many cases, it’s not like you see great story sales popping up left and right. With eBay it was a grind to say the least.

Like mindcycle hinted at I’m holding out hope for more eBay sellers to finally give up and cut their losses.
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
kingofsnake
HB Member
Been liked: 27 times

Post by kingofsnake »

I have only been buying singles from eBay. Also, I don't use Instagram or Facebook.
FutureTanTan
HB Member
Been liked: 6 times

Post by FutureTanTan »

I've been buying singles on eBay, Whatnot and Mercari. I do constantly check Facebook where I've found some singles I need for the PC.
daeve
HB Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by daeve »

ebay and facebook. The guys who list regularly and have something of a following on the big fb groups seem to do very well. I do need to ramp up my activity on my ig again, which I plan on doing asap.
FrankAZHP
HB Member
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by FrankAZHP »

eBay, COMC, and in person at local shows where I'm lucky to have like 5-8 shows per month.

Since I'm mainly a budget collector I don't have the same issues others have. $5-$25 is the sweet spot for me (whether raw or graded), so even if people are holding at higher prices to avoid taking a loss from buying during the boom, those sellers typically aren't in my sweet spot price range.

I can see how some of the higher end cards for player collectors could be troubled tho.
*Collector since 1990 *Nothing for sale *Cards 🏈🏀 🤼🏒🏎️ *Comics 💀 *Games 🎮🖥️🖱️*Music 🎵 💿 *Movies 📼 💿
I make videos on my collection, mail times, card show walkthrus, and more: www.youtube.com/frankazhpcollectibles
siuwongkee
HB Supporter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by siuwongkee »

Ebay and Goldin. Have post my wantlist on a few FB group, no luck. Never try IG. Where can I find cards from IG?
FB: siuwongkee
IG: siuwongkee
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

mindcycle wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:05 pm I’m mostly just throwing low snipe bids out on eBay nowadays hoping to occasionally get a decent deal. I’ve also been letting a lot of stuff go. Like you said, a lot of guys are over leveraged right now from buying at the peak so it’s a bit of a crap shoot. I don’t even bother with most BIN auctions that are 10x over reasonable prices, those guys aren’t going to budge. At least not yet.

Other than eBay I’ll occasionally trade via IG, or in person at a card show. We seem to have a decent show around the Denver area every few months. Fun to do deals in person.
Yeah man, crazy expectations on prices for some of this stuff. I do think there are other factors at play, which is the talking heads group, you know, some of the guys who used to post on BO and we're now expected to follow their every word as dogma. I could rant on and on about this, but you already know where that's headed anyway. lol I see completed auctions at a fraction of BIN asking prices and wonder if high BIN sellers simply can't comprehend, or if they're desperately trying to make their money back...either way, nothing is happening for them at their asks.
darz90scardz wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:57 pm In the last year or so I’ve picked up slightly more stuff on IG than eBay. Apparently there’s some pretty poppin’ 90s Facebook sales groups as well but I’ve still never bothered to make an account.

With IG it was mostly Penny hoarders dumping their stuff to me. Right place right time in many cases, it’s not like you see great story sales popping up left and right. With eBay it was a grind to say the least.

Like mindcycle hinted at I’m holding out hope for more eBay sellers to finally give up and cut their losses.
I've sold through a middle man on FB, but never directly been on there. I don't use any form of social media, but it does seem like a lot of stuff is going on with IG. I've seen accounts of some of these Penny hoarders, seen Kemp hoarders as well. Never, ever liked hoarders. WTF is having more than two copies going to do for you? I get it if you PC a player and you're building a set in addition, but past that...you're a negative, not a positive. Although it's good that you managed to benefit regardless lol.

I think in the long run some of them might just give up, but there's always going to be that bastion of stubborn greed. There are sellers I've watched on eBay with prices that are unimaginable in the realm of logic even when ingesting the wildest psychedelic mushrooms.
kingofsnake wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:07 am I have only been buying singles from eBay. Also, I don't use Instagram or Facebook.
Same. Pick ups have been sparse...to say the least.
daeve wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:45 am ebay and facebook. The guys who list regularly and have something of a following on the big fb groups seem to do very well. I do need to ramp up my activity on my ig again, which I plan on doing asap.
Just eBay for me, guessing the FB people you mentioned understand the current market and list for reasonable prices.
FrankAZHP wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:46 am eBay, COMC, and in person at local shows where I'm lucky to have like 5-8 shows per month.

Since I'm mainly a budget collector I don't have the same issues others have. $5-$25 is the sweet spot for me (whether raw or graded), so even if people are holding at higher prices to avoid taking a loss from buying during the boom, those sellers typically aren't in my sweet spot price range.

I can see how some of the higher end cards for player collectors could be troubled tho.
The crazy thing is even parallels of bench warmers from the 90s are listed super high for what they are. A 20 dollar card is in the hundreds. Even non-grail stuff of stars, if it's numbered...woahhhh we got the Hope Diamond here, BIG TIME stuff coming through...and I'm not talking Credentials or some darling of the high end talking heads.
siuwongkee wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:20 am Ebay and Goldin. Have post my wantlist on a few FB group, no luck. Never try IG. Where can I find cards from IG?
Again, just eBay for me. Never went on others...except for COMC, but COMC is a barren wasteland when it comes to cards for reasonable prices. It's worse than eBay when it comes to high prices. I used to do some selling / buying / trading on forums too, but that's almost never now.
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Been liked: 51 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

It's always been mostly ebay and comc for me. Though I will say over the last couple months the pickups feel few and far between. I've never had much success on IG or Facebook. Probably a handful of deals. Just really rare that people have Kings cards at all, and usually they're overpriced.
daeve wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:45 am ebay and facebook. The guys who list regularly and have something of a following on the big fb groups seem to do very well. I do need to ramp up my activity on my ig again, which I plan on doing asap.
It kind of boggles my mind that those guys do well. Lots of those guys that run regular sales overprice their cards. I get that their volume could lend towards people slightly overpaying on cards to save on combining shipping in the grand scheme of things, but when I see a card or two that I want, it's never worth the shipping because the cards themselves are already slightly overpriced.
daeve
HB Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by daeve »

SacKingsCards wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:32 am It's always been mostly ebay and comc for me. Though I will say over the last couple months the pickups feel few and far between. I've never had much success on IG or Facebook. Probably a handful of deals. Just really rare that people have Kings cards at all, and usually they're overpriced.
It kind of boggles my mind that those guys do well. Lots of those guys that run regular sales overprice their cards. I get that their volume could lend towards people slightly overpaying on cards to save on combining shipping in the grand scheme of things, but when I see a card or two that I want, it's never worth the shipping because the cards themselves are already slightly overpriced.
I think it's really the combined shipping. If someone wants a bunch of $3-10 cards and doesn't want to wait for auctions to all pop up and wants to save on shipping it starts to make sense, but yeah many times the cards are overpriced. Some of those sellers do seem to be more flexible on price if buyers are buying multiples though.
@cp
HB Member
Been liked: 11 times

Post by @cp »

The few random singles I buy now have been in my experience, 99% eBay, 1% COMC, and local card shows. Although oddly enough, the last few years, it's now the complete opposite. I find that getting cards in person at the show has so many more benefits. Since I primarily collect, if I see something I want, I'll offer 90% of what the dealer wants. This is of course if the dealer has his prices within reasonable range. I don't do social media, so I never bother looking there.
workingclasscards
HB Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by workingclasscards »

eBay 100% since I collect things that are pretty niche.
I think cardshows are underrated if someone collects their local teams.
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

Myslabs might also be a decent source going forward. It’s also not restricted to just graded cards anymore.

It’s kind of dumb how you still can’t search all listings though. Forced to search within only graded or raw.
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums