eBay Authentication Shipping Delay?

Basketball cards and sports talk
GlenRice_90s_Cards
HB Member

eBay Authentication Shipping Delay?

Post by GlenRice_90s_Cards »

Hey all....

Before I lose any sleep over this asking for the boards recent experiences with eBay Authentication turnaround times. I do not have much experience here as Glen Rice cards are typically less than $250....much closer to $2.50

May 28th: Won an auction
May 30th: Seller shipped to eBay Authentication
June 2nd: Arrived at eBay Authentication (12:36pm)
June 2nd: Item Authenticated (1:15pm) only took 39 minutes from arrival to authentication?
June 2nd: Shipping Label Created USPS Awaits Item (4:15pm)

Its been in this status now for a 5th day.

Should I be concerned it hasn't been picked up/brought to USPS at this point? Does it typically take this many days to reach USPS and on its way to me?

Thanks!

Mike
dengbang
HB Supporter
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: eBay Authentication Shipping Delay?

Post by dengbang »

It could be due to Memorial day backlog and being the weekend.
sb22
HB Member

Post by sb22 »

I have had some significant delays with the eBay authentication - I wouldn't be concerned yet. I had a Mahomes take over 2 weeks to get to me and it wasn't a holiday weekend
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

I've only had one card go through eBay authentication as of writing this and i'm pretty sure it got stuck in that label created state for a few days. So you're probably good i'd imagine.

I still wish we could opt out of all this authentication nonsense tbh, lol
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
Kevin
HB Member

Post by Kevin »

My most recent purchase was on the 28th of May (Sunday of holiday weekend, so likely didn't ship until Tuesday) and I had it in hand on Monday, June 5. Probably the quickest one I've ever gotten.
PC - Robert Lewandowski, Skylar Diggins-Smith, Lita (WWE)

Sets in progress:
2001 Fleer Nameplates patches (all sports)
2003-04 Bowman Chrome Hockey Xfractors
NY_AL
HB Member

Post by NY_AL »

I've had several cards go through eBay authentication, but most recently, I noticed a card that seemed to be there longer than usual. Nothing crazy, maybe 2-3 days longer. Then I actually got a phone call from someone from eBay. The rep on the phone told me that the card was deemed authentic, but had some damage along the edge and corner that was not disclosed in the listing by the seller. He asked if I wanted an email with photos of the damage so I can decide whether or not to go through with the transaction or to have the cards sent back to the seller, at which point eBay would refund me. Because it was a modern card, I wasn't going to accept the card with any significant damage to it, but I asked him to send the email anyway. Sure enough, the very detailed photos showed clear damage to the card, so I requested the refund.

I had no idea eBay authentication services even looked for those types of issues. I thought they just authenticated cards, which, in most cases, was a big waste of time. But if they're going to actually inspect the condition of the card and compare it to the seller's description in the listing, well, that's something that may change my opinion. It may be a slippery slope, but if their intention is to protect the buyer and keep sellers honest, then I suppose taking a few extra days isn't a bad thing. It definitely saved me some aggravation this time.
IG: nychoops_collector
PC: Ron Artest a.k.a. Metta World Peace
Side PCs: Darren Woodson, Dave Winfield, rare/unique cards of various NYC hoopers
GlenRice_90s_Cards
HB Member

Post by GlenRice_90s_Cards »

Thanks for the replies.

No update yet. I’ve got a bad feeling about this.

Feel helpless because trying to speak to someone at eBay is impossible. Online “assistance” isn’t available until after the 13th.

I’m gonna try to be patient and optimistic.

To make matters worse, it’s a 1/1 🤢
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

GlenRice_90s_Cards wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:04 pm Thanks for the replies.

No update yet. I’ve got a bad feeling about this.

Feel helpless because trying to speak to someone at eBay is impossible. Online “assistance” isn’t available until after the 13th.

I’m gonna try to be patient and optimistic.

To make matters worse, it’s a 1/1 🤢
Oh man.. I feel your pain. You'll have to come back here once it shows up so we can see what you got!
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
MAMASCOOKINPC
HB Member

Post by MAMASCOOKINPC »

The authentication process is more thorough than most people know. It truly is a blessing if you knew all that was involved. It eliminates those shady misleading pictures, bad titles, misleading claims on condition

They kick cards for patch swaps, retraced autos, bad serial numbered 90s, hidden creases and dimples, trimmed edges, inked edges/corners, calling cards refractors when they are not, featuring another version of a card in the listing when the card they ship is off centered or hulked, same card different serial number, fake cards (they fake ultra modern too along with base cards).

Ways it protects the seller; Sometimes they put an addition card in the package that’s worth more than the card in the listing and with research they find out that card is in another auction. They mix up address’ and ship the wrong card. The buyer might try to swap the card and ask for a refund but they won’t get it as there’s photos taken of the card. The list goes on. It’s not perfect but it’s really really good and the guys know their shit for the most part.

If the sellers are honest with the condition assessment (just has to be in the ball park, like “there is a white corner and some edge ware) and take photos where the flaws can be seen, it will pass 10/10 times. Pay attention to the descriptions. “Excellent” can be misleading if you don’t know what that term means in grading. That’s a 5 means so if you see that in a listing and are concerned, ask the seller for more pics or for an explanation.

Also there’s a different standard on collector type cards and investor type cards. A card with a low print run, a obscure player card that sold for over $500, 90s numbered card with a non disclosed flaw for example, would result in eBay contacting you to inform you vs. being automatically rejected.

It’s a plus for both the buyer and seller.
PC:
BIG KWAME BROWN (Anything I’m missing)
Shawn Kemp (90s inserts only)
Marbury (PSA graded cards and a few 90s Monsters)
IG: @mamascookinpc