Cardboard Moments - When A Card Company gets Photography right

Basketball cards and sports talk
Smalltown
HB Member

Cardboard Moments - When A Card Company gets Photography right

Post by Smalltown »

We all crap on Panini and the rest(lets be honest every company did/does it) for poor photo selection, reusing photos, etc. But every once and a while they get it right. Wether by intention or just dumb luck sometime they choose the perfect photo. A photo that captures a specific moment in time perfectly. Basically, I want to see those here. Show me a card in your collection or that you want in your collection that captures a moment that stands out to you.

I'll Start.

So when I saw the first base of this card listed on ebay when retail Prizm started popping i knew I had to have a nice copy. I of course thought Gold or Black 1/1 immediately but it became clear quickly that i absolutely hate the gradient style of the solid colour parallels this year. Like really hate - Panini muddied up the beautiful Golds. But I digress, the Photo is awesome. I ended up finally settling on the White Sparkle which works perfectly with the white uni.

So this photo was taken Game Four of the Eastern Conference Finals in Toronto. Toronto had just taken game 3 in overtime and everyone was basically writing it off "they got their 1 - Bucks in 5". In this game there were a couple moments when you saw a change in the Raptors, a change in the Bucks. This was one of them. Ibaka had 17 points and 13 rebounds in this game. But this moment may have been the best of them.

The photo is the aftermath of the Dunk at :10 of this video.

The Bucks were shook. The Raptors knew they had them. And as a Raptors fan it's so much fun to have a photo like this on a card.

Looking forward to seeing some of yours!

Collecting: Raptors, Canadian Basketball Players, Vintage & More.
PC: https://www.instagram.com/smalltown.cards/
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Cardboard Moments - When A Card Company gets Photography right

Post by SacKingsCards »

Great thread idea. The only thing better than great photography is great photography from significant moments that resonate with you as a fan. That's why I like the Topps NOW stuff in baseball, though I haven't really jumped on the Panini Instant train for basketball. Nice work finding the video highlighting the moment as well; I actually think the photo does a better job capturing the Serge's intensity than the video, though that could be because they were shot from different angles. It's actually pretty impressive that you even recognized that pose from that moment. It's pretty distinctive but I can't imagine it was awfully obvious from watching the game or highlights.

I never noticed that color gradient you mention on 2019 prizm, but I agree that it really takes away from the vibrant beauty of a solid colored chrome parallel. The white sparkle is perfect because it removes that gradient from the side of the card.
SHowley2003
HB Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by SHowley2003 »

Great thread. 2008 Topps/Topps Chrome is one of the better sets for consistent photography. This Bird is no exception. Bird waving the towel in the 84 Finals is truly an iconic moment in Boston sports history. Capturing that on a refractor is cardboard perfection.

@SHowley2003
Smalltown
HB Member

Post by Smalltown »

SHowley2003 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:21 pmThis Bird is no exception. Bird waving the towel in the 84 Finals is truly an iconic moment in Boston sports history. Capturing that on a refractor is cardboard perfection.
Perfect. That's exactly what i'm talking about.

Mule
HB Member

Post by Mule »

Not to make this all Raptors... but this one caught my eye right away. I vividly remember this expression of pure joy from Lowry when I watched the Raptors clinch the title. It didn't happen in our "house", but oh well... :lol:

I like collecting:
Raptors cards
2003-04 Upper Deck Exquisite Basketball
Canadian Hoopers
Any cool cards that catch my eye....

chasingexquisite03 on Instagram
kickitfwd
HB Member

Post by kickitfwd »

SHowley2003 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:21 pm Great thread. 2008 Topps/Topps Chrome is one of the better sets for consistent photography. This Bird is no exception. Bird waving the towel in the 84 Finals is truly an iconic moment in Boston sports history. Capturing that on a refractor is cardboard perfection.
I was just re-watching some of the 1984 finals last weekend to make me feel better after Celts lost both home games against Miami haha. Very sick card.
Smalltown
HB Member

Post by Smalltown »

Mule wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:24 pm Not to make this all Raptors... but this one caught my eye right away. I vividly remember this expression of pure joy from Lowry when I watched the Raptors clinch the title. It didn't happen in our "house", but oh well... :lol:

That’s a great one. I would’ve posted it if you didn’t. Personally I’m of the opinion that Lowry and the Raptors made Oracle Arena their house by being the last team not only to win a game there but a whole @ss championship. :)

Peterfox16
HB Member

Post by Peterfox16 »

I don’t have a specific card to share, but I’m really excited about the possibility that exists when Topps returns to basketball cards. The Stadium Club Chrome image selection is great this year, I hope they do something similar with basketball!
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

Denver, Colorado - January 01, 1995.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news ... popup=true

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orlando, Florida - May 23rd, 1995. Game one of the Eastern Conference Finals at Orlando Arena.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phoenix, Arizona - February 10, 1995. Wayman Tisdale plays bass at Planet Hollywood, Phoenix, Arizona.

Orlando, Florida - January 01, 1995 - Michael Jordan dunks against the Orlando Magic at the Amway Arena.

1995, Game 6, 2nd quarter, around 7:20 remaining.

Chicago, Illinois - May 18, 1995.. Game six of the Eastern Conference Semifinals at the United Center. The Magic bested the Bulls, 108 to 102 and eliminated them four games to two.

darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

I’m just now noticing the back photo of the 95-96 ud Jordan. Insane. That could go on the front of a chase insert.
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

I actually think the back photo is nicer than the front one, a lot more fluid, a lot more dynamic and exciting. He looks like a blade of grass in the front photo. :|

Still a cool dunk photo, but the back one is a classic, also appears he's got the 45 jersey on.
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

AbraCalabro wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:58 pm Denver, Colorado - January 01, 1995.

Abra! Great to see you here man.

I've always liked this Mutombo card as well, definitely something different lol. I still need to find me an electric court gold.
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

Likewise, your efforts in establishing this forum are highly appreciated by a lot of us, big thanks.

As for the Mutombo, there was one on eBay for a while for around 4 bucks if I remember correctly lol, but I don't see it anymore. Just one from Australia with crazy shipping.

This year of UD flagship has been a lot of fun for me to photomatch, with some truly unique photography from my favorite era of NBA basketball.

I just don't think you can beat images like the Mutombo, or the Tisdale, they add a lot of fun to what is otherwise excellence in cinematic on-court photos.

Here's another favorite:

darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

AbraCalabro wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:14 am I actually think the back photo is nicer than the front one, a lot more fluid, a lot more dynamic and exciting. He looks like a blade of grass in the front photo. :|

Still a cool dunk photo, but the back one is a classic, also appears he's got the 45 jersey on.
Reminds me of this
@darz90scardz on IG
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

darz90scardz wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:30 pm
AbraCalabro wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:14 am I actually think the back photo is nicer than the front one, a lot more fluid, a lot more dynamic and exciting. He looks like a blade of grass in the front photo. :|

Reminds me of this
ebay image didn't load so I had to copy and paste it, good 'ol ebay. Yeah that's actually a great comparison though...hmm...might have to add that one to the collection at some point also, always loved the original Court Masters. The Amphany Hardaway is also one of the nicer ones.
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

Speaking of Amphanee

darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

Pic embeds fine on my end for some reason, maybe cached.

96-97 Court Masters are def sweet in general. I’ve noticed the key outline either flakes or doesn’t take properly onto the acetate. Still need Amphanee and that’s what’s prevented me from grabbing a recent copy.
@darz90scardz on IG
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

darz90scardz wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:31 am Pic embeds fine on my end for some reason, maybe cached.

96-97 Court Masters are def sweet in general. I’ve noticed the key outline either flakes or doesn’t take properly onto the acetate. Still need Amphanee and that’s what’s prevented me from grabbing a recent copy.
I think that's probably what happened, same thing used to happen to me whenever I'd link an eBay image, I think they have some issue with hot linking.

I think the three best ones in the original Court Masters set are MJ, Penny and the Reignman:

Mostly90sbballcards
HB Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Mostly90sbballcards »

As a Bucks fan it doesn’t get any better.
Milwaukee was trailing the Suns 2 games to 1 in the NBA Finals. Up 101-99 with just over a minute to play, Giannis cut off a Devin Booker drive near the free throw line then recovered in about one step to meet Ayton above the rim at the basket. I’ll always remember watching and jumping up off my couch. Middleton recovered the ball, scored on the other end. The Bucks went on to win, then the Game 5 Jrue steal and alley-oop, then the Giannis 50-piece to close it out. This block was the moment the Bucks took control. I am so grateful that Panini got this one on to a card.

2021 Photogenic Unforgettable Gold /10
NY_AL
HB Member

Post by NY_AL »

A couple of great shots from 1999 Fleer Force

IG: nychoops_collector
PC: Ron Artest a.k.a. Metta World Peace
Side PCs: Darren Woodson, Dave Winfield, rare/unique cards of various NYC hoopers
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

AbraCalabro wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:49 am
darz90scardz wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:31 am Pic embeds fine on my end for some reason, maybe cached.

I think that's probably what happened, same thing used to happen to me whenever I'd link an eBay image, I think they have some issue with hot linking.

I think the three best ones in the original Court Masters set are MJ, Penny and the Reignman:

I love how zoomed in most of the shots from the set are.
I also love how that’s the first time I’ve noticed “carom” used on a card.

If anyone can instantly recall another example, you are the lord of cardboard.
@darz90scardz on IG
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Been liked: 51 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

AbraCalabro wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:49 am

At first glance the first thing I thought of when seeing this card was 2013 prizm. Dunno the significance of that but I think there's a comparison in there somewhere. Look eerily similar to me.
Mostly90sbballcards wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:45 pm

As a Bucks fan it doesn’t get any better.
Milwaukee was trailing the Suns 2 games to 1 in the NBA Finals. Up 101-99 with just over a minute to play, Giannis cut off a Devin Booker drive near the free throw line then recovered in about one step to meet Ayton above the rim at the basket. I’ll always remember watching and jumping up off my couch. Middleton recovered the ball, scored on the other end. The Bucks went on to win, then the Game 5 Jrue steal and alley-oop, then the Giannis 50-piece to close it out. This block was the moment the Bucks took control. I am so grateful that Panini got this one on to a card.

2021 Photogenic Unforgettable Gold /10
Love the writeup and honestly surprised this is the only appearance of photogenic in here. Feels like a lot of photos from that set would be pretty big moments.

Semi-related side note I watched that finals in Mexico with my brother and our buddy. Any reference to that finals reminds me of that trip, gotta love how sports transcend...the sport.
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

Got to send this one back to the top.

AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

darz90scardz wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:19 am I love how zoomed in most of the shots from the set are.
I also love how that’s the first time I’ve noticed “carom” used on a card.

If anyone can instantly recall another example, you are the lord of cardboard.
Yeah agreed. At some point I'm going to add the MJ and the Penny. I would've added Shaq and Pippen as well, but their photos are kinda' cut off.
SacKingsCards wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:49 pm
At first glance the first thing I thought of when seeing this card was 2013 prizm. Dunno the significance of that but I think there's a comparison in there somewhere. Look eerily similar to me.
I can certainly see that, it's the shape of the cutout for the border I think, being on an angle.
@cp
HB Member
Been liked: 11 times

Post by @cp »

I've always thought UD captured some of MJ's base cards quite beautifully. The 1997-98 base and subset had two great shots of him in historical moments.
Attachments
1997-98 UPPER DECK #18.png
1997-98 UPPER DECK #316.png