Photomatching a Reggie Miller Card to a Game I Attended in 2001

Basketball cards and sports talk
Deadshot
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Photomatching a Reggie Miller Card to a Game I Attended in 2001

Post by Deadshot »

Over the past year, I’ve started tracking down cards that picture games I attended. This chase has been a lot of fun, and as an added bonus, hasn’t cost me much in the process (other than time…but that’s kinda the way hobbies go). I know of 36 Pacers games I’ve attended, with the majority of them being after 2005.

I did, however, attend the 11/23/01 game against the Spurs. Finding cards that match up with this game has been tricky, because when you search “November 2001 Spurs Pacers” on Getty, only 6 images come up (even though there are plenty of other pictures from the game on the site as well). I’ve found a few Jamal Tinsley and Tony Parker cards that I think match up, but I wanted to find a few more.

Seeing as the game took place so early in the season, I decided to search 2001-02 Pacers and Spurs cards on COMC and see if I noticed the corresponding team in the background. From there, it’s still not a guarantee; I have to match the photos up or find some way to date them.
After a while, it dawned on me that I should also check some of the 2002-03 card releases, just in case any of them decided to use an older picture. This was a lot more common in the late 90s. Eventually, I found one that looked like a possible match, the 2002-03 Upper Deck Reggie Miller base card #54.

Initially, I didn’t see a lot of clues on the photo itself, other than Bruce Bowen in his Spurs jersey. Upon closer inspection, it looked like his jersey featured the 9/11 memorial ribbon, which was only used during the 2001-02 season. I wasn’t 100% sure, so I asked other posters on Twitter to see if they saw the same. The response was a unanimous YES.

This meant the game was for sure from the 2001-02 season. From there, I needed to see how many times the Pacers hosted the Spurs that year. According to Basketball Reference, the Spurs only played in Indianapolis once.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/te ... games.html

It’s not uncommon for card companies to grab photos from the preseason, so I knew I needed to check on that as well. Basketball Reference, for whatever reason, doesn’t have preseason schedules, so I had to use the Internet Archive to look back at the Pacers website from late 2001 instead.
https://web.archive.org/web/20011201033 ... om/pacers/
https://web.archive.org/web/20011127081 ... index.html

While I was there, I saw an ad for the team store that referred to the 9/11 memorial patch as the “Unity Ribbon Patch.” I don’t remember seeing it labeled that way, but after a quick Google search, it looks like it’s more common than I thought. A lot of people use that and some combination of 9/11 memorial. That might be good info to know for future patch projects.

By now, I had enough proof that this card was from the 11/23/01 game, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to verify in another way. The first step was to analyze the position of the patches on the jersey relative to the pinstripes. These matched up.
https://media.gettyimages.com/id/144809 ... gmt2yaWi8=

But seeing as jerseys were often used for multiple games, I wanted to pursue another style of photomatch as well. I found an image of Antonio Daniels that was shot from the same angle, and I photomatched some of the people in the crowd, in both images.
https://media.gettyimages.com/id/512038 ... i3jOPgPXg=

Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of versions of this card to chase. There’s the base card, and the UD Exclusives parallel /100. I’ve been looking for the Exclusives parallel for a couple months now. There’s a copy on COMC that was priced pretty high in my opinion. A few weeks ago, one of my friends in a Reggie Miller Facebook group posted this copy for about a third of the price. It showed up surprisingly quick, considering it came all the way from the Czech Republic!

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it!
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: Photomatching a Reggie Miller Card to a Game I Attended in 2001

Post by mindcycle »

Thanks for sharing man! I really enjoy reading about your approach to researching these game photos. Great card as well!
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
sunswincards
HB Member

Post by sunswincards »

Really neat research! Something like this would make a great BCF article… or have you done that already?
IG: @sunswincards
ISO: Booker Panini Instant 2020-21 Finals 1/1 no.236
ISO: Nash Leaf 2022 In The Name Used patches
Deadshot
HB Member

Post by Deadshot »

mindcycle wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:04 pm Thanks for sharing man! I really enjoy reading about your approach to researching these game photos. Great card as well!
Thank you!
sunswincards wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:44 am Really neat research! Something like this would make a great BCF article… or have you done that already?
I have not. I'd rather post it for free instead!
Gemmintpop1
HB Member

Post by Gemmintpop1 »

This is the type of content I love to see! Way to go, Kyle!
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

Deadshot wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:01 am
sunswincards wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:44 am Really neat research! Something like this would make a great BCF article… or have you done that already?
I have not. I'd rather post it for free instead!
But you can monetize what amounts to card forum posts!
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
dengbang
HB Supporter
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by dengbang »

Incredible detective work, I'd like to do the same for Bulls games I've been to but like you said, it is time consuming. I've be able to match some of my Jordan cards, but I assume it is much easier to that with MJ
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

I’ve never even considered how the patch to pinstripe positioning can differ jersey to jersey. And using the crowd as a marker is ingenious.
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
Deadshot
HB Member

Post by Deadshot »

dengbang wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:15 pm Incredible detective work, I'd like to do the same for Bulls games I've been to but like you said, it is time consuming. I've be able to match some of my Jordan cards, but I assume it is much easier to that with MJ
100%. MJ has more YouTube, high def footage, pictures, cards, etc. than anyone else. And there are major clues like the gold logoman patch and the pinstriped unis they wore from time to time.
darz90scardz wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:21 pm I’ve never even considered how the patch to pinstripe positioning can differ jersey to jersey. And using the crowd as a marker is ingenious.
Wait until you see the update on my Drexler photomatch...I matched a Panini relic card to a jersey sold at auction. Then I matched that jersey to a couple of 90s card photos. And then used YouTube to narrow it down to a couple games I think it was used in.