Is it weird to bring a 200k collection for show at a cardshow

Basketball cards and sports talk
siuwongkee
HB Supporter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

Is it weird to bring a 200k collection for show at a cardshow

Post by siuwongkee »

I am thinking to go to the show in Macau. My shop will likely buy a table for sales and promotion. I am thinking, should I bring my small 90s collection with me.

Maybe it is a stupid question to most, like who cares, you do what you like. My concern is I do not want to be a weirdo. Like in HK, call it cultural, you wont buy a Rolls Royce to work, even you have 100m or 200m US. Other people in the cycle will mock you for, "Are you really showing off?" So I am abit sensitive on the topic.

If you ask me, as a 90s collectors, I will love seeing anything from the 90s. Literall anything. I mean, of course I will love seeing a PMG Green Jordan, Gem master Jordan. But I might also be delighted to chat with someone with my poor English on cards that means something to an individual.

Please share your thoughts.
FB: siuwongkee
IG: siuwongkee
dengbang
HB Supporter
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: Is it weird to bring a 200k collection for show at a cardshow

Post by dengbang »

I'm assuming the Macau show will be a big show. From what I've seen, there are many highend collections, so I think you will be fine. Pretty sure some people set up at shows to buy more than to sell. Everyone has a different goal.

I started setting up at shows to mostly connect with people in the hobby and it's proven beneficial. I am able to find cards I need and help out other collectors with their wantlist. I've gotten people who question if I only bring cards to "showoff". Sometimes I'll tell them that it helps to connect with other collectors and is used as a conversation starter. Usually they understand and go about their day. Others will complain because they can't lowball their way into a deal and walk away angry.

After the covid years, I see $100k tables all the time. Sports cards are meant to be fun whether you're a collector or a seller. I might be wrong but I don't think culture plays a role here.
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

siuwongkee wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:08 am I am thinking to go to the show in Macau. My shop will likely buy a table for sales and promotion. I am thinking, should I bring my small 90s collection with me.

Maybe it is a stupid question to most, like who cares, you do what you like. My concern is I do not want to be a weirdo. Like in HK, call it cultural, you wont buy a Rolls Royce to work, even you have 100m or 200m US. Other people in the cycle will mock you for, "Are you really showing off?" So I am abit sensitive on the topic.

If you ask me, as a 90s collectors, I will love seeing anything from the 90s. Literall anything. I mean, of course I will love seeing a PMG Green Jordan, Gem master Jordan. But I might also be delighted to chat with someone with my poor English on cards that means something to an individual.

Please share your thoughts.
dengbang really hit the nail on the head and I think there will be people like you who will love to see anything from the 90s. Have a great time.
siuwongkee
HB Supporter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by siuwongkee »

Thanks Dengbang and Abra

I mean, I really want to share my cards with people who treasure them like I do. I am in contact with the show and I will definitely go there with the cards.
FB: siuwongkee
IG: siuwongkee
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

siuwongkee wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:08 amLike in HK, call it cultural, you wont buy a Rolls Royce to work, even you have 100m or 200m US. Other people in the cycle will mock you for, "Are you really showing off?"
I actually respect this.

But like deng mentioned I think cards and the culture surrounding them is a bit different.
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums