2024 Influencer cards in Topps Big League Baseball

General hobby related news and discussion
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

2024 Influencer cards in Topps Big League Baseball

Post by mindcycle »

@topps releases this year's Big League Influencer Inserts for 2024!

Here are the influencers: @doctorcollectible @strykerbreaks
@chicitypulls @breakswithjess @jabs_family
Last year we had Ge-Off Wilson, Ryan from cardcollector2, etc..

While it's a decent idea to potentially gain some additional interest in a low end release like Big League, I have to wonder how these individuals get picked for this.. I've heard of Jabs family simply because Sports Card Radio has talked about him in the past, but have never even heard of the others. They look to mainly be breakers..

It kind of makes sense for Fanatics to include breakers since that's what they're pushing now. Maybe just my opinion, but I can think of a lot more people who have been around the hobby for a lot longer who are more deserving of a card. Pretty sure 4/5 of these people just joined the hobby in 2020.

I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter all that much but it does kind of show you the direction Fanatics is heading with their marketing.
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
kingofsnake
HB Member
Been liked: 27 times

Re: 2024 Influencer cards in Topps Big League Baseball

Post by kingofsnake »

I think it's all shit really. I don't give a rat's ass about any sports card influencer. Thank you.
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

kingofsnake wrote: โ†‘Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:15 am I think it's all shit really. I don't give a rat's ass about any sports card influencer. Thank you.
๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„ Yeah I agree, does nothing for me either.

I figured it could be an interesting discussion given Fanatics seems to be partnering with a lot of these people and what that looks like for the future of the โ€œhobbyโ€. Which I guess is kind of depressing tbh since it looks to focused more on breakers and clout chasers more than anything else at this point.
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

It's odd to me that this would move the needle for anyone. Who would want these cards? Kids? Do kids (or anyone) view these people as celebrities? But definitely representative that last year seems to be mostly investing/flipping figures and this year is breakers. To each their own, but would be just odd to me for this to appeal to anyone
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

SacKingsCards wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:02 am It's odd to me that this would move the needle for anyone. Who would want these cards? Kids? Do kids (or anyone) view these people as celebrities? But definitely representative that last year seems to be mostly investing/flipping figures and this year is breakers. To each their own, but would be just odd to me for this to appeal to anyone
I mean, despite the guy being a tool, Geoff Wilson definitely has a following at this point. Same with cardcollector2 who I find to be 100x more likeable than Geoff. I've seen their cards actually sell on eBay so there seems to be at least some of the hobby interested their cards. The people they picked this year just seem random and not that well thought out. I don't see any of them moving the needle as far as interest goes.

At the end of the day it's clearly just a gimmick to gain some buzz and maybe sell some more boxes of a low end product. I would imagine no one here is chasing any of this stuff, but the direction Fanatics is going seems pretty clear at this point. Hype the breakers and try and drive more gambling to the hobby.
SacKingsCards
HB Member

Post by SacKingsCards »

mindcycle wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:57 pm
I mean, despite the guy being a tool, Geoff Wilson definitely has a following at this point. Same with cardcollector2 who I find to be 100x more likeable than Geoff. I've seen their cards actually sell on eBay so there seems to be at least some of the hobby interested their cards. The people they picked this year just seem random and not that well thought out. I don't see any of them moving the needle as far as interest goes.

At the end of the day it's clearly just a gimmick to gain some buzz and maybe sell some more boxes of a low end product. I would imagine no one here is chasing any of this stuff, but the direction Fanatics is going seems pretty clear at this point. Hype the breakers and try and drive more gambling to the hobby.
Totally agree about the direction Fanatics is going. They care about promoting hobby entrepreneurship, not collecting. Not that it hasn't been widespread that way for a while now. I understand what you're saying about the Geoffs and Ryans of the world as opposed to the breakers, but in either case I don't understand the hobby celebrity thing as a whole. Not sure why any collectors, flippers, investors, etc are celebrities to people
FrankAZHP
HB Member
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by FrankAZHP »

SacKingsCards wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:59 pmNot sure why any collectors, flippers, investors, etc are celebrities to people
THIS!

The whole "influencer" thing is so stupid. Everyone is an individual with both positives and negatives. Putting people on a pedestal is insanely dumb.
*Collector since 1990 *Nothing for sale *Cards ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ€ ๐Ÿคผ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŽ๏ธ *Comics ๐Ÿ’€ *Games ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ–ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ–ฑ๏ธ*Music ๐ŸŽต ๐Ÿ’ฟ *Movies ๐Ÿ“ผ ๐Ÿ’ฟ
I make videos on my collection, mail times, card show walkthrus, and more: www.youtube.com/frankazhpcollectibles
SacKingsCards
HB Member

Post by SacKingsCards »

FrankAZHP wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:16 pmTHIS!

The whole "influencer" thing is so stupid. Everyone is an individual with both positives and negatives. Putting people on a pedestal is insanely dumb.
Well, and for what?

SCI puts YouTube videos with investment/flipping advice, then expanded to card vlogs, interviews, hobby shop, etc.
CC2 owns a shop, tours the nation's card shows buying cards and collections to resell
Breakers just open packs for people
The CardLadder people own expensive cards, made a paid market tracking app that focuses on cards they think matter, and just speak their mind about cards, which people seem to care about

I just don't get why anyone cares about any of these people's card activities or opinions lol
ChrisP57
HB Member
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 318 times

Post by ChrisP57 »

The most eye rolling additions to Topps Big League the past couple of years. It's bad enough these clowns get treated like celebrities within the hobby, giving them their own cards is just another way to boost their egos
vickiiyy
HB Member

Post by vickiiyy »

FrankAZHP wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:16 pm
SacKingsCards wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:59 pmNot sure why any collectors, flippers, investors, etc are celebrities to people
THIS!

The whole "influencer" thing is so stupid.
I don't think so 8-)
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

vickiiyy wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:24 am
FrankAZHP wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:16 pm
THIS!

The whole "influencer" thing is so stupid.
I don't think so 8-)
Would be interesting to hear a counter point. Let us know your thoughts when you have a chance.
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

mindcycle wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:24 amWould be interesting to hear a counter point. Let us know your thoughts when you have a chance.
My guess: It's a bot
*Collector since 1990 *Nothing for sale *Cards ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ€ ๐Ÿคผ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŽ๏ธ *Comics ๐Ÿ’€ *Games ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ–ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ–ฑ๏ธ*Music ๐ŸŽต ๐Ÿ’ฟ *Movies ๐Ÿ“ผ ๐Ÿ’ฟ
I make videos on my collection, mail times, card show walkthrus, and more: www.youtube.com/frankazhpcollectibles
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

Screw these Topps Big League influencer cards in packs. I made my own damn card with a total print run of 1000 and the 1984 Topps Football design. I laugh at it and think it's kinda funny as I don't really have the ego I had in my 20s to fully appreciate them, but people get a kick out of them, and it's generally been fun giving them away.

When I was considering making a business card for my YT/IG I decided to just add an extra 1/2 inch and do a trading card instead and it works as double duty.

Print run breakdown (so far):
Black Ink Autos (not numbered - rough estimate print run of 600)
200 Green Ink Autos (hand numbered /200)
100 Blue Ink Autos (hand numbered /100)
50 Gold Ink Autos (hand numbered /50)
25 Orange Ink Autos (hand numbered /25)
5 Red Ink Autos (hand numbered /5)
1 Textured Gold Black Ink Auto (hand numbered /1)

Back is same on all cards:

I sent a few to @dengbeng when I sold him a Totally Certified card (which he still hasn't posted here on HB like he told me he would)
A few of them sold on eBay (I think from people I met at Arizona State Card Show back in Nov 2023). No idea who the seller or buyer was.

Am I an "influencer" now?

lolololol
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

Those are great Frank! I'd rather have you as an influencer over all the "collectors" that Topps is promoting. I bet you have more card knowledge in your pinky than all of them combined. :lol:
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

Ah haha, nice. I like the simulated superfractor design too lol
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
Hornso
HB Member
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Hornso »

Nice guns ๐Ÿ’ช
Collecting Pistons - Autos, Immaculate Game Worn, Silver/Holos/Refractors & Revolution.

Motor City Auto Project - 126/153 (82%)
Instagram - @MotorCityCardboard
PC Link