Is Kaboom the #1 insert of the Panini era?

Basketball cards and sports talk
dengbang
HB Supporter
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 40 times

Is Kaboom the #1 insert of the Panini era?

Post by dengbang »

I saw Spinotron's post saying that this is Panini's top insert. In my opinion, I wouldn't even put them in the top 10 inserts of the Panini Era. I can see why people like them but the design reminds me of a homemade comic card. What are your thoughts about these cards?
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: Is Kaboom the #1 insert of the Panini era?

Post by darz90scardz »

Not a fan of them but in the same breath I can definitely see why it has the best case for the top Panini insert if we define it as the most popular. The attention they get is kind of undeniable.

I’m more taken aback by how Spino seems to have changed in recent years. Regarding the post you mentioned, he talks about the last 2022 Mahomes green kaboom 1/1 sale, saying that “It puts the narrative to bed that short term flipping is dead…” Another instance of using an outlier in an attempt to warp overall market trends. Went from a purist to making co-posts with cblez.
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

I think they're hideous, but easy to pump and dump. They have to be some of the ugliest cards I've ever seen, the artwork either sucks, or it's photoshop line art. Awful, creatively bankrupt, unimaginative garbage. Their popularity seems to be almost entirely, if not entirely, driven by social media advertising how great they are.
dengbang
HB Supporter

Post by dengbang »

darz90scardz wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:06 am I’m more taken aback by how Spino seems to have changed in recent years.
I do notice that as well, especially from when I first spoke with him many years ago. A little bit of attention can change one's appearance I suppose. I'm surprised people haven't had a more negative response to his Panini Blockchain posts though. Seems a bit of a shill when you advertise how great your ROI is for these digital packs.
dengbang
HB Supporter

Post by dengbang »

AbraCalabro wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:44 am Their popularity seems to be almost entirely, if not entirely, driven by social media advertising how great they are.
I remember when these first came out, most people thought they were a joke as well. Out of nowhere I see them being advertised as the next big thing.
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

I'd take anything Spino says with a grain of salt. Guy might have a been a knowledgeable collector at one point but either hobby celebrity status or sponsor money went to his head and he now feels the need to write 12 paragraph IG posts about blockchain logoman/sticker auto cards for some reason. Kind of telling where his priorities lie nowadays.

Question, because I had to stop following him, does he still have the profile pic where he photoshopped his face onto the Mahomes starting lineup head shot photo?
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

dengbang wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:24 amA little bit of attention can change one's appearance I suppose. I'm surprised people haven't had a more negative response to his Panini Blockchain posts though. Seems a bit of a shill when you advertise how great your ROI is for these digital packs.
Haha, I was essentially typing the same thing as you were replying I bet.

Yeah, that's about the time I decided to click the unfollow button. :lol:
dengbang
HB Supporter

Post by dengbang »

mindcycle wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:27 am Question, because I had to stop following him, does he still have the profile pic where he photoshopped his face onto the Mahomes starting lineup head shot photo?
I don't see it, but I do remember seeing the one where he photoshopped it with Kobe. I didn't know what to say when i first saw that.
dengbang
HB Supporter

Post by dengbang »

mindcycle wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:30 am Haha, I was essentially typing the same thing as you were replying I bet.

Yeah, that's about the time I decided to click the unfollow button. :lol:
I don't blame you haha

As far as I can tell the whole Panini Blockchain market isn't doing to well and I'm sure lots of the sheep will be unloading their collections.
kingofsnake
HB Member
Been liked: 27 times

Post by kingofsnake »

I have never liked Kabooms. That being said, I can't think of any other popular insert that has had the same length of continuity. Galactics? Not an insert set, I know.
SHowley2003
HB Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by SHowley2003 »

Why is it that I crap all over Spinotron in the collecting trends thread and no one responds but then we can all pile on him here? Is my vitriol towards him not respected in this space?

In all seriousness, I respect the original 2013-14 Kabooms. They aren’t the best looking cards but they were unique and an attempt to try something different. I love owning one and wish the hobby was back in a space where industry leaders were willing to take a risk in order to court new collectors. That being said, as a whole, Kabooms are the lamest and most over hyped insert if the Panini era. Well maybe Downtowns…. there is an honest debate to be had there. We all need to be aware of who is pushing the Kaboom and Downtown narrative. Are they truly collectible or do people want them because Panini, flippers, breakers, etc. tell them we should want them?
@SHowley2003
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

SHowley2003 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:28 pm Why is it that I crap all over Spinotron in the collecting trends thread and no one responds but then we can all pile on him here? Is my vitriol towards him not respected in this space?

In all seriousness, I respect the original 2013-14 Kabooms. They aren’t the best looking cards but they were unique and an attempt to try something different. I love owning one and wish the hobby was back in a space where industry leaders were willing to take a risk in order to court new collectors. That being said, as a whole, Kabooms are the lamest and most over hyped insert if the Panini era. Well maybe Downtowns…. there is an honest debate to be had there. We all need to be aware of who is pushing the Kaboom and Downtown narrative. Are they truly collectible or do people want them because Panini, flippers, breakers, etc. tell them we should want them?
We just needed you to pave the way so we could all say what we really felt. ;)

I personally never got into the Kaboom cards myself, but they were at least something a little different. When they first came out they reminded me of those comic style cards that came out of Fleer packs in the early 90's. Good for a chuckle but if I wanted a comic card i'd just get a pack of Marvel cards. 8-)
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

The effect itself isn’t even terrible, it reminds me of something out of Z-Force. And it’s been used elsewhere right? That one year of Knights of the Round?

I know they’re supposed to be in that unrealistically cartoonish style in the first place, but they still look “off” to me. I can’t unsee the Stockton and Bird. And the Grant Hill one looking like a darker hued Mr. Clean.
ECDFD251-9002-432D-8A93-FD8A6A989187.jpeg
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
Deadshot
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Deadshot »

For me the answer is no, but in terms of popularity...it might be. I used to ignore inserts for the most part, but have tried to catch up on them in the last year or two. This might be a good topic for Evan (geechquest) to chime in on if he's posting here!
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Been liked: 51 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

I'll agree, no way it's the #1 insert for me. In fact, I find most of the popular inserts to be pretty underwhelming: Kaboom, Downtown, Blank Slate, etc. But I think we have to define the criteria to make something #1. If a combination of popularity, value, and longevity are what you're looking for, Kaboom probably hits those better than most other Panini inserts.
dengbang
HB Supporter

Post by dengbang »

kingofsnake wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:51 pm I have never liked Kabooms. That being said, I can't think of any other popular insert that has had the same length of continuity. Galactics? Not an insert set, I know.
I had to do the math, and has it really been 10 years of Kabooms already?!
SHowley2003 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:28 pm Why is it that I crap all over Spinotron in the collecting trends thread and no one responds but then we can all pile on him here? Is my vitriol towards him not respected in this space?
Are they truly collectible or do people want them because Panini, flippers, breakers, etc. tell them we should want them?
haha not trying to crap on Spino, think he's a collector at heart but the sudden rise to stardom probably got to him

That's probably the question that most people should be asking, I can't say I've seen many people say that they like them for how they look. It's shiny and you can spot one a mile away, but who is saying that they absolutely need that card for their collection.
darz90scardz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:57 am The effect itself isn’t even terrible, it reminds me of something out of Z-Force. And it’s been used elsewhere right? That one year of Knights of the Round?
...Grant Hill one looking like a darker hued Mr. Clean.
Yep I believe it was the 2014 Knights of the Round, those are definitely above on the list for me.
I had to the GHill up...he does look like Mr. Clean lol
Deadshot wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:45 pm For me the answer is no, but in terms of popularity...it might be. I used to ignore inserts for the most part, but have tried to catch up on them in the last year or two. This might be a good topic for Evan (geechquest) to chime in on if he's posting here!
Lots of nice inserts and parallels from Panini if that's your cup of tea. Just have to dig deep enough and try to avoid the bias posts.
SacKingsCards wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:44 am I'll agree, no way it's the #1 insert for me. In fact, I find most of the popular inserts to be pretty underwhelming: Kaboom, Downtown, Blank Slate, etc. But I think we have to define the criteria to make something #1. If a combination of popularity, value, and longevity are what you're looking for, Kaboom probably hits those better than most other Panini inserts.
I think if we take away value, while subjective, the top inserts that makes it to most people's lists will be entirely different.
workingclasscards
HB Member
Been liked: 3 times

Post by workingclasscards »

Top 5 Inserts of the Panini Era in no order

*Kaboom
*Downtown
*Colorblast
*Manga
*Artistic Selections/Color Wheel

Honorable Mention: Hoops rookie special magazine covers
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

dengbang wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:36 pm
Yep I believe it was the 2014 Knights of the Round, those are definitely above on the list for me.
I had to the GHill up...he does look like Mr. Clean lol

Looks like he's about to drop a Kaboom in his pants.
SacKingsCards
HB Member

Post by SacKingsCards »

dengbang wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:36 pm
I think if we take away value, while subjective, the top inserts that makes it to most people's lists will be entirely different.
Exactly, and that's how it should be. I think that's closer to how it would have been prior to collectors' shift to social media. Lots of focus on value and how popular everyone else thinks a card will be rather than a person's individual subjective opinion on a card.
Depitydog
HB Member
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Depitydog »

Year 1 Kaboom was special... after that, they have no appeal to me. I'm biased in my opinion of Panini's top insert because i'm collecting the set... i highly doubt anyone would agree with my choice...

P.S. Spino is a good dood... he just thinks differently about cards than most do and is very passionate about it.
SacKingsCards
HB Member

Post by SacKingsCards »

Depitydog wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:04 pm Year 1 Kaboom was special... after that, they have no appeal to me. I'm biased in my opinion of Panini's top insert because i'm collecting the set... i highly doubt anyone would agree with my choice...

P.S. Spino is a good dood... he just thinks differently about cards than most do and is very passionate about it.
Can't tease us like that, what's your top Panini insert? Makes sense that you collect it if it's your #1!

I think the chances are that Panini's top insert will differ vastly for everyone. Mine would probably be some random one from a low end set worth <$1/card