Player Spotlight: Michael Jordan

Basketball cards and sports talk
FrankAZHP
HB Member
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 68 times

Player Spotlight: Michael Jordan

Post by FrankAZHP »

I thought it'd be a fun for everyone to share their cards of a certain player in a spotlight and make a new topic every week or two. Allows members to show off while others can appreciate some of the gems. Thought the GOAT should be first.

So I ask of you: Please show your Jordan stuff!!!
*Collector since 1990 *Nothing for sale *Cards ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ€ ๐Ÿคผ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŽ๏ธ *Comics ๐Ÿ’€ *Games ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ–ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ–ฑ๏ธ*Music ๐ŸŽต ๐Ÿ’ฟ *Movies ๐Ÿ“ผ ๐Ÿ’ฟ
I make videos on my collection, mail times, card show walkthrus, and more: www.youtube.com/frankazhpcollectibles
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Re: Player Spotlight: Michael Jordan

Post by FrankAZHP »

I'll gap some of my posts out. Fleer for now, Topps & Upper Deck later

86-87 / Reprints & Fake RC Card Art
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

88-89 Design from 2019

89-90

90-91

91-92

95-96 Fleer Flair Hardwood Leaders (just a personal favorite insert set despite it being common)
Last edited by FrankAZHP on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Collector since 1990 *Nothing for sale *Cards ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ€ ๐Ÿคผ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŽ๏ธ *Comics ๐Ÿ’€ *Games ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ–ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ–ฑ๏ธ*Music ๐ŸŽต ๐Ÿ’ฟ *Movies ๐Ÿ“ผ ๐Ÿ’ฟ
I make videos on my collection, mail times, card show walkthrus, and more: www.youtube.com/frankazhpcollectibles
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

^ I remember being impressed with the Hardwood Leader set, was cool opening packs with standard thickness base and out comes this โ€œpremiumโ€ stock insert. The crossover into the Flair product name was pretty unique too.

This is the 8.5 and under segment of my MJ pc:
8951FC38-CC06-41EC-B1A2-A44DB163CAC0.jpeg
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
Deadshot
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Deadshot »

Not a lot of MJ in my PC, but I'll show what I can find scans of at the moment.

I have another one of these with a better patch, but I guess I don't have it scanned in.

AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

ChrisP57
HB Member
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 318 times

Post by ChrisP57 »

One of my BIGGEST regrets is selling off my original collection back in 2011. I had a TON of nice MJ's. Patches, inserts, the 86 Fleer Rookie BGS 7.5. I left the hobby for 5 years, coming back in 2016, but a lot of the stuff I had I just can't get back because of scarcity and/or just too damn expensive. I've tried my best to rebuild a modest MJ collection, but it's nothing like what I used to own. Here's what I have. Some of it you probably have seen in the pickup thread

My top two favorite cards are the 2002-03 Chrome Black Refractor and the Jordan 96 All Star Patch (Lebron is on the back)
kingofsnake
HB Member
Been liked: 27 times

Post by kingofsnake »

I only have a handful of MJ cards left, and here's one I pulled myself in Hong Kong:

FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

Absolute fire. All of it. I could quote and comment on every post. All I will say is everyone here has good taste lol
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

Okay Topps time. I've got a few more 90s and early 2000s inserts raw I don't have photos of yet too.

1992-93
ImageImage

1992-93 Archives in 1984 baseball design

1993-94

1995-96

1996-97 Topps ProFiles

1998-99 Topps Chrome Back2Back

2001-02 Topps Chrome Fast & Furious
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

Chris that Titanium is near the top of my MJ want list right now, holla at a playa if you ever want to move/trade it.

These are most of my raw inserts/parallels, I always make an exception with SPx and E-X because biased. I actually pulled a good amount of these at release. Muhstalgia.
B6B26301-3E5D-45FF-81BF-1ACF49A0CD25.jpeg
@darz90scardz on IG
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

darz90scardz wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:30 pmThese are most of my raw inserts/parallels, I always make an exception with SPx and E-X because biased. I actually pulled a good amount of these at release. Muhstalgia.
I saw you post this on IG and was wondering if you took the photo to post here too! :lol:

Some great inserts here too. Meltdown, Bound For Glory. Is the 1998-99 Chrome a refractor or base?
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

Okay I'll post my UD. I don't have a ton of UD, but I'm fond of holograms

1991 Baseball SP1 (was a gift from someone at a card show around 6 months ago) I love the screwdown too! lol takes me back.

1991-92 AW1 (not the best photo. I'll retake it at some point)

1991-92 AW4

1992-93 AW1. (I still need a AW9)

1992 McDonalds (also not the best photo. This slab is tough to photograph due to a curve in the card)

1992-93 Team MVP Holograms (from the box set).
My dad took me to a card shop in 1993 and bought me a set of these, so I'm fond of them.

1993-94 SE Kilroy
Last edited by FrankAZHP on Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

FrankAZHP wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:38 pm
darz90scardz wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:30 pmThese are most of my raw inserts/parallels, I always make an exception with SPx and E-X because biased. I actually pulled a good amount of these at release. Muhstalgia.
I saw you post this on IG and was wondering if you took the photo to post here too! :lol:

Some great inserts here too. Meltdown, Bound For Glory. Is the 1998-99 Chrome a refractor or base?
Thanks, the Bound was a childhood pull. The Chrome is just the base, but I got it out of a supermarket vending machine in 2019, lolโ€ฆ

Interestingly you can only pull the refractors out of jumbo/hta packs, which these werenโ€™t.
@darz90scardz on IG
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

Great cards everyone!

I pulled this one as a kid. It would have graded higher if it wasnโ€™t for the fact it was stored in a screw down and has a large surface crease due to that lol. All good though, it will always be in my PC and has a nice story to tell.

I grabbed this Fleer RC in a trade back when BGS 7.5โ€™s were around the $500 range. Iโ€™ve owed a few of these over the years but kept this one as it had the best centering.

I always wanted a Jordan Bulls auto but felt they just got a little out of hand price-wise. That was pre-covid boom too, nowadays itโ€™s even crazier. Luckily I was able to grab this one a few years back in a trade and Iโ€™m pretty sure thatโ€™s an airbrushed Bulls jersey so it works for me! Lol

Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Been liked: 51 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

Love this idea, this can really be an endless activity that brings out a plethora of diverse cards we can appreciate. I agree that MJ is a great place to start, and I think the cards shared so far are evidence of that. Great variety, awesome photography, shine, autos, and memorabilia cards.

Here's a few of mine:
Great base set

My fear of commitment has prevented me from cracking this one:

My favorite of the bunch:
@cp
HB Member
Been liked: 11 times

Post by @cp »

AbraCalabro wrote: โ†‘Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:06 pm Image

That 95-96 upper deck is quite possibly my favorite ud card of mj. Clean design, great photography action shots. Well done UD.

As for the Flair cards, those cards from the mid-90s to late are possibly the greatest designs of cards I've ever seen. Thick card stock, beautiful imagery, clean action shots. Just amazing. I always pick these cards up at shows whenever I see them. They are such beautiful cards to look at. One of my faves.
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

@cp wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:40 pm
That 95-96 upper deck is quite possibly my favorite ud card of mj. Clean design, great photography action shots. Well done UD.

As for the Flair cards, those cards from the mid-90s to late are possibly the greatest designs of cards I've ever seen. Thick card stock, beautiful imagery, clean action shots. Just amazing. I always pick these cards up at shows whenever I see them. They are such beautiful cards to look at. One of my faves.
Thanks. One of my favorites as well. The photography in that particular set is unmatched by most of what's out there, it just stands out by leaps and bounds.

Also agree with you on the Flair cards, the design is truly outstanding and spectacular. Definitely great to pick them up, grab a Legacy parallel if you can find one at a decent price, they're truly marvelous. Massively overpriced these days, but still marvelous.
@cp
HB Member
Been liked: 11 times

Post by @cp »

AbraCalabro wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:21 am

Thanks. One of my favorites as well. The photography in that particular set is unmatched by most of what's out there, it just stands out by leaps and bounds.

Also agree with you on the Flair cards, the design is truly outstanding and spectacular. Definitely great to pick them up, grab a Legacy parallel if you can find one at a decent price, they're truly marvelous. Massively overpriced these days, but still marvelous.
Besides the Legacy stamping and the numbering, Is there any design difference between a regular version and a legacy parallel? I've never held one in my hands to see if there are any difference.
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

@cp wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:11 pm

Besides the Legacy stamping and the numbering, Is there any design difference between a regular version and a legacy parallel? I've never held one in my hands to see if there are any difference.
Legacy stamp, numbering, also the back is in grayscale, not in color, for the 96/97 Legacy parallels, also the text on the front is a holofoil blue/teal color and also keep in mind if you ever see a Legacy parallel from that same year as 000 of 150, it's legitimate.
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

AbraCalabro wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:10 am

Legacy stamp, numbering, also the back is in grayscale, not in color, for the 96/97 Legacy parallels, also the text on the front is a holofoil blue/teal color and also keep in mind if you ever see a Legacy parallel from that same year as 000 of 150, it's legitimate.
I realized way later than I should have that the 96-97 Legacies are the ones with true blue holofoil, not flat blue foil like in later years.
@darz90scardz on IG
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

darz90scardz wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:46 am

I realized way later than I should have that the 96-97 Legacies are the ones with true blue holofoil, not flat blue foil like in later years.
The other years have their pros, but honestly they goofed not having the holofoil on the stamping. Even the base cards for 96/97 had holofoil for Row 0.

97/98 had the crazy pattern in the background and 98/99 had the 'shadow box' effect for the Row 1 cards, so that makes them stand out, but definitely would've benefited from holofoil.

Still wish I had a Penny Row 0 Legacy Collection, but W.T.F. at the prices bro.
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

AbraCalabro wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:27 am

The other years have their pros, but honestly they goofed not having the holofoil on the stamping. Even the base cards for 96/97 had holofoil for Row 0.

97/98 had the crazy pattern in the background and 98/99 had the 'shadow box' effect for the Row 1 cards, so that makes them stand out, but definitely would've benefited from holofoil.

Thatโ€™s right, base 96-97 row 0 and even row 1 had holofoil.

And yea man, it seems like every damn Penny parallel goes for an arm and a leg now. I even feel it on many of his inserts. At least I have most of the latter knocked out already.

Anybody got spare appendages?
@darz90scardz on IG
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

darz90scardz wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:09 pm

And yea man, it seems like every damn Penny parallel goes for an arm and a leg now. I even feel it on many of his inserts. At least I have most of the latter knocked out already.

What's crazy is you used to be able to get Penny all day every day for SUPER reasonable prices. Then, you get a few big spenders and the hobby is over for a bunch of people lmfao. Speaking of crazy prices for stuff, I looked at Diamond Dimensions die cuts the other day..............no one, EVER, talks about those. WTF is up with the prices, holy crap.
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

AbraCalabro wrote: โ†‘Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:41 pm
darz90scardz wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:09 pm

What's crazy is you used to be able to get Penny all day every day for SUPER reasonable prices. Then, you get a few big spenders and the hobby is over for a bunch of people lmfao. Speaking of crazy prices for stuff, I looked at Diamond Dimensions die cuts the other day..............no one, EVER, talks about those. WTF is up with the prices, holy crap.
My Penny options are so limited right now that Iโ€™ve switched back to MJ for the time being. Upside-down world. Got these 2 in recently and have his New Heights on the way. Happy to be able to pair that and this Net Sets with the Penny.
C33D19CB-7009-4C98-9B31-C13CA2508F1C.jpeg
EAEF1D46-2ED0-4AA8-996B-B1B95E3967A4.jpeg
06091EE5-045B-418C-9283-72DBEF2CDCEB.jpeg
E35B8D19-D81C-452E-B771-B748AF2F679D.jpeg
@darz90scardz on IG
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

darz90scardz wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:50 pm
My Penny options are so limited right now that Iโ€™ve switched back to MJ for the time being. Upside-down world. Got these 2 in recently and have his New Heights on the way. Happy to be able to pair that and this Net Sets with the Penny.
C33D19CB-7009-4C98-9B31-C13CA2508F1C.jpeg
EAEF1D46-2ED0-4AA8-996B-B1B95E3967A4.jpeg
06091EE5-045B-418C-9283-72DBEF2CDCEB.jpeg
E35B8D19-D81C-452E-B771-B748AF2F679D.jpeg
Now there's something I never, ever thought I'd read anywhere.