Is it fair to say Jokic is best center of all time?

Basketball cards and sports talk
workingclasscards
HB Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Is it fair to say Jokic is best center of all time?

Post by workingclasscards »

Jokic's ball handling and passing while performing traditional center skills is game breaking IMO.
He's created a new meta for centers and its incredibly difficult to stop.
I get that Jokic doesn't have the resume, but his peak ability is up there with prime Shaq, Chamberlain, Russell, Walton, Abdul-Jabar, etc.
daeve
HB Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Is it fair to say Jokic is best center of all time?

Post by daeve »

I would say skills-wise he's up there. It's hard to deny at this point, I don't think anyone else in the history of the game has his combination of skills on offense at this level. I have Kareem #1 all-time - gets the nod over MJ due to longevity [It's gotta count for something, right?], with Lebron 3rd and Wilt 4th and Russell 5th.

So with 3 of my top 5 being centers, that tells you what I think of the position and just where Jokic stands. If he were to retire today, where would he be ranked? I think he's been the best player in the league for 3 years now, so that includes some very good seasons from Curry, Lebron etc and then coincides with Giannis and Embiid peaking. I think it also caps Luka's possible peak, because how can he be better than Jokic? He uses the same overall archetype {large offensive facilitator} but he doesn't have anywhere near the ability of Jokic in vision nor does he have Joker's size or strength. Luka has to hunt mismatches to use his size, while Jokic can go at any single defender in the league and dominate.

The real question for Joker is how many years of dominance is he going to string together? He's like a walking chess computer and only going to get better at passing + reading defenses as he plays, just has to keep his agility so he can continue to defend and win. The sheer raw numbers from Kareem, Wilt, Russell, and even Duncan and Shaq will be tough to catch, but I think Jokic has the chance to do it. Skills-wise he is top 10 player all-time right now, any position, and legacy-wise I think it's tough to exclude him from the top 20 all-time right now, but he'll need a few more years of this to enter the upper echelon, at least as far as legacies are concerned.
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

daeve wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:13 amThe real question for Joker is how many years of dominance is he going to string together? He's like a walking chess computer and only going to get better at passing + reading defenses as he plays, just has to keep his agility so he can continue to defend and win. The sheer raw numbers from Kareem, Wilt, Russell, and even Duncan and Shaq will be tough to catch, but I think Jokic has the chance to do it. Skills-wise he is top 10 player all-time right now, any position, and legacy-wise I think it's tough to exclude him from the top 20 all-time right now, but he'll need a few more years of this to enter the upper echelon, at least as far as legacies are concerned.
I’m probably one of the more bias people to answer this question due to being a huge Nuggets fan, but I agree with you. If he has a few more years of dominance we could include him in a top 10 consideration but I don’t think he’s there yet.

Give his personality, lack of desire to be the center of attention, and other hobbies outside of basketball, I wouldn’t be surprised if he rides out his contract (last season would be 27-28) then retires. I’m sure he’d be perfectly content with that lol. I’m just hoping he can bring us at least another ring before he calls it. If that happens it would also go a long way to cementing his legacy as well.
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

If Wilt is in the equation, then you can only hope for second best, all the time, every time.
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

AbraCalabro wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:37 pm If Wilt is in the equation, then you can only hope for second best, all the time, every time.
Yeah would be pretty tough to pass Wilt. Some may argue different era and all that, but I’m not sure it could be done
Deadshot
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Deadshot »

I think the sample size is too small at this point, but I won't rule it out for the future.
daeve
HB Member

Post by daeve »

what he's doing right now is just insane. I think it's possible he's gotten better, again.
@cp
HB Member
Been liked: 11 times

Post by @cp »

Short answer: No
Long answer: He is definitely climbing his way up there, but just look at these players ahead of him. Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Hakeem, Shaq. Those are my top 5 centers. He has a long way to go to surpass them. Then you have other greats like Ewing, Robinson, Malone that can't be ignored. Jokic is getting up there, but until his career is over, it's a no. We'll see where he ends up. He's definitely a fun player to watch and probably the best player in the game right now.
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

@cp wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:58 pm Short answer: No
Long answer: He is definitely climbing his way up there, but just look at these players ahead of him. Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Hakeem, Shaq. Those are my top 5 centers. He has a long way to go to surpass them. Then you have other greats like Ewing, Robinson, Malone that can't be ignored. Jokic is getting up there, but until his career is over, it's a no. We'll see where he ends up. He's definitely a fun player to watch and probably the best player in the game right now.
Looking at the list of centers is a good way to go. I think Jokic is is probably the bridge between those two groups. He probably needs to lead the Nuggets to another title to cement himself in that top 5. I think when it's all said and done he, Wilt, Kareem, and Russell will become a top 4. He's just so good and so efficient.
daeve
HB Member

Post by daeve »

Yesterday Tyrese Haliburton recorded a 26/10/13 triple double. This stat line (or better) with 0 turnovers has only occurred 7 other times before in NBA history. Nikola Jokic has done it TWICE in the past week...
Of all the "video game numbers" being produced this year, Joker stays the most ridiculous of them all.
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

daeve wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:40 pm
Yesterday Tyrese Haliburton recorded a 26/10/13 triple double. This stat line (or better) with 0 turnovers has only occurred 7 other times before in NBA history. Nikola Jokic has done it TWICE in the past week...
Of all the "video game numbers" being produced this year, Joker stays the most ridiculous of them all.
I saw that earlier today as well. So crazy man..
daeve
HB Member

Post by daeve »

He's going to be in a bunch of clubs where he's the only member by the time he's done.