Does anyone here play or collect Yugioh?

Pokémon, Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and other TCG and hobby talk
Oaktreesports
HB Member
Been liked: 1 time

Does anyone here play or collect Yugioh?

Post by Oaktreesports »

I play and collect old school Yugioh cards from LOB thru the 5Ds era. Anyone else in here dabble?
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Does anyone here play or collect Yugioh?

Post by SacKingsCards »

I collected and played as a kid, from the LOB and Yugi/Kaiba/Joey starter decks through maybe the first year of releases? Not sure if Pharoah's Servant was the last set I ripped. After that I shifted more towards the video games and then after starting to collect sports cards as an adult I wanted to go back to yugioh. Wayyyyy too many rule additions/changes and cards for me to get into collecting or even building a deck. After that I shifted more towards pokemon and maybe collecting a few of my favorites. .

Have you pick yugioh back up at all?
siuwongkee
HB Supporter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by siuwongkee »

I am a shareholder of a TCG card store in China. Recently my friends ask me to join them for ocg again. Never collect yugioh, hate how Konami reprinting cards.
FB: siuwongkee
IG: siuwongkee
Oaktreesports
HB Member

Post by Oaktreesports »

SacKingsCards wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:32 pm I collected and played as a kid, from the LOB and Yugi/Kaiba/Joey starter decks through maybe the first year of releases? Not sure if Pharoah's Servant was the last set I ripped. After that I shifted more towards the video games and then after starting to collect sports cards as an adult I wanted to go back to yugioh. Wayyyyy too many rule additions/changes and cards for me to get into collecting or even building a deck. After that I shifted more towards pokemon and maybe collecting a few of my favorites. .

Have you pick yugioh back up at all?

LOVE the detail of your “Yugioh journey.” Your the classic old school player. I played back then too. I quit around 2009 and sold all of my cards. — but when I finished college in 2019 I just started reassembling my old collection that turned into making 20+ decks lol. — I don’t play “modern” so I don’t have to worry about/have interest in the new stuff. I don’t care.

I play cards up to the end of the GX Era with the release of LODT.

I stick to my era.

So much so that I’ve been able to start up a “Yugioh GX era” formatted tournament at a local card shop.

So I have all the old character decks from the show made and ready for dueling:

Yugi, Joey, Kaiba, Pegasus, Bandit Keith, Weevil, Mako Tsunami, Mai Valentine, Bakura, etc

Nostalgia is the best drug, my friend.
Oaktreesports
HB Member

Post by Oaktreesports »

siuwongkee wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:11 am I am a shareholder of a TCG card store in China. Recently my friends ask me to join them for ocg again. Never collect yugioh, hate how Konami reprinting cards.
I would reccomend sticking with GOAT format if your going to play. The older cards are where the fun is at.

Not the new stuff in the last 15 years.
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

siuwongkee wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:11 am I am a shareholder of a TCG card store in China. Recently my friends ask me to join them for ocg again. Never collect yugioh, hate how Konami reprinting cards.
Well that's definitely fun, hopefully some nice perks coming along with being a shareholder :D When you say ocg, are you referencing Master Duel? I've downloaded it on all platforms and try to play it every so often, but I kinda feel get lost when trying to figure out how to duel effectively with pendulum summoning, xyz summoning, etc.
Oaktreesports wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:03 am LOVE the detail of your “Yugioh journey.” Your the classic old school player. I played back then too. I quit around 2009 and sold all of my cards. — but when I finished college in 2019 I just started reassembling my old collection that turned into making 20+ decks lol. — I don’t play “modern” so I don’t have to worry about/have interest in the new stuff. I don’t care.

I play cards up to the end of the GX Era with the release of LODT.

I stick to my era.

So much so that I’ve been able to start up a “Yugioh GX era” formatted tournament at a local card shop.

So I have all the old character decks from the show made and ready for dueling:

Yugi, Joey, Kaiba, Pegasus, Bandit Keith, Weevil, Mako Tsunami, Mai Valentine, Bakura, etc

Nostalgia is the best drug, my friend.
I freaking love that idea, and wish that even at the competitive level (not that I would necessarily compete) they would do era-specific tourneys that don't implement the crazy mechanics of recent times. I think that's why I loved those GBA games: they pretty much only utilized the game mechanics through GX. I love that you've reassembled so many decks. Do you strictly adhere to cards from the GX era and earlier or do you incorporate cards from more recent sets to bolster some decks?
siuwongkee
HB Supporter

Post by siuwongkee »

OCG means JP version Yugioh.
siuwongkee
HB Supporter

Post by siuwongkee »

SacKingsCards wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:49 am
Well that's definitely fun, hopefully some nice perks coming along with being a shareholder :D When you say ocg, are you referencing Master Duel? I've downloaded it on all platforms and try to play it every so often, but I kinda feel get lost when trying to figure out how to duel effectively with pendulum summoning, xyz summoning, etc.
My partners have been in the industry for some time, they have very good relationship with dealers and because of the turnover, we usually get a better price than most shops in the area for every TCG products. When I plan to collect sports cards again, I can get sports cards at wholesale also. (But not necessary the best wholesale price) So considering I only invested very little money, it is too little that it is fewer than a case of 21-22 Flawless basketball, I think it is a win for me.