Topps Does This Better Than Others: Knowing the Source Material for Relic Cards

Baseball cards and sports talk
SHowley2003
HB Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 22 times

Topps Does This Better Than Others: Knowing the Source Material for Relic Cards

Post by SHowley2003 »

Okay, admittingly, this first one doesn't fit the theme, but It's my newest pickup so I included it.

For this one, the tell is that gold trim around the number piece. It can only be from opening day at Fenway for the 2019 season when the Red Sox got their rings, and raised the banner for the 2018 WS win. Sale was the starting pitcher for that game.

These are my favorite baseball cards. The MLB certification sticker allows you to enter the cert number into this site
https://www.mlb.com/official-information/authentication
and you get info for exactly what the material is and when it was worn/used.

I especially like this one because it includes a photo of Mookie from the specific game the patch is from.

Topps then takes some of their cards a step further and includes stats and other information from the game the patch is from into the design of the card.

@SHowley2003
daeve
HB Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Topps Does This Better Than Others: Knowing the Source Material for Relic Cards

Post by daeve »

I do sometimes pu pu on Topps, just because I think they make about equal the number of flubs as Panini, but they really do these perfectly. And I didn't know about the cert numbers being searchable, that's very cool!
GlenRice_90s_Cards
HB Member

Re: Topps Does This Better Than Others: Knowing the Source Material for Relic Cards

Post by GlenRice_90s_Cards »

Great looking cards Steve!
volumeaccumulation
HB Supporter
Been liked: 1 time

Post by volumeaccumulation »

Awesome looking cards. That Chris Sale is nasty. It's nice to see him pitching again and doing well.
Deadshot
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Deadshot »

This seems very doable for Topps basketball relics in the Fanatics era.
SHowley2003
HB Member

Post by SHowley2003 »

Deadshot wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:00 pm This seems very doable for Topps basketball relics in the Fanatics era.
Thanks guys. I agree that Fanatics should be able to do this with basketball. I've been impressed with the quality of some of their baseball Topps releases, however, I don't think I've seen them use the MLB authentication stickers yet. I could be wrong, I'm not overly familiar with all of the product they've released.
@SHowley2003
Knightrunnermatt
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Knightrunnermatt »

First off, awesome cards! You collect the same three that I do (Devers, Sale, Betts).

Second, I love relics. I never knew they were seachable! I have always found them underrated by the hobby as they don't get the same price love that some of the other numbered/SP type cards do. Verifying that the relic is game worn/used on a wider basis should (maybe?) start to change that.
SHowley2003
HB Member

Post by SHowley2003 »

Knightrunnermatt wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:28 pm First off, awesome cards! You collect the same three that I do (Devers, Sale, Betts).

Second, I love relics. I never knew they were seachable! I have always found them underrated by the hobby as they don't get the same price love that some of the other numbered/SP type cards do. Verifying that the relic is game worn/used on a wider basis should (maybe?) start to change that.
Thanks for the compliments. You would think that the ability to know exactly when the patch was worn would add value. I don't find it to be that way though. Topps has been doing this since at least 2016 and it doesn't have much of a following. That's fine with me though, I think it's the best way to collect relic cards.

This is my favorite example in my PC of how well the program works. I looked up the cert number, and then went to watch highlights of the game on YT. I was able to find the exact play (a head first slide into second) when Dustin dirty up the jersey. Unfortunately it's dirt from the Trop and not Fenway :lol:

@SHowley2003
Iowa_Dave
HB Member
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Iowa_Dave »

Gorgeous cards all of them. I love when players like Xander understand the quality of their autos matter.
SHowley2003
HB Member

Post by SHowley2003 »

Iowa_Dave wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:22 am Gorgeous cards all of them. I love when players like Xander understand the quality of their autos matter.
A solid signature absolutely seems to be a thing that most athletes have lost track of. It's too bad, it really adds so much value to the memorabilia side of being a fan.
@SHowley2003
1956ToppsGuy
HB Member

Post by 1956ToppsGuy »

SHowley2003 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:52 pm
Deadshot wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:00 pm This seems very doable for Topps basketball relics in the Fanatics era.
Thanks guys. I agree that Fanatics should be able to do this with basketball. I've been impressed with the quality of some of their baseball Topps releases, however, I don't think I've seen them use the MLB authentication stickers yet. I could be wrong, I'm not overly familiar with all of the product they've released.
This is what I’ve been saying about the fanatics era. If they know what they’re doing, all relic cards should come with the authentication sticker. It’s so cool to know what play or game these things come from and it deepens the connection to the card. Seems like such a straightforward combination of strengths to push in this direction.
CatchingHeaters
HB Member

Post by CatchingHeaters »

Totally agree, big fan of how Topps produces their patch/relic cards especially with the auth stickers. I like the example you showed of the “On This Day” I think adding the stats from the game used jersey is really cool. Here is my Soto Topps Dynasty from 2021, the gold is like the Sale you showed, it’sfrom the Nationals opening day after their WS I believe.

PC- Juan Soto, Albert Pujols, Stadium Club Gold Minted, Patch Autos
Favorite Teams: St Louis Cardinals, Miami Dolphins, Miami Heat
-Matt