Basketball cards and sports talk
green_stiller
HB Member
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: A Rolling Mailday Thread

Post by green_stiller »

Treated myself to a birthday present last week

Really like the inclusion of the actual card on the back. More inspired than most plates
Attachments
IMG_3673.jpeg
IMG_3672.jpeg
Primary chase - Lamar Odom RC set
PC - Lamar Odom
MattyMcFlyCards
HB Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by MattyMcFlyCards »

Likely my last one for a while... I have a couple of TTM requests out that may pan out. Hoping Elvin Hayes comes through for me! haha...

PC: Signed base cards from 1999 Upper Deck Retro Basketball... Orlando Magic... NBA HOFers... & anything from awesome movies.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/187638567@N04/albums

Instagram: @MattyMcFlyCards & @The_Matt_Sanders
FrankAZHP
HB Member
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by FrankAZHP »

While I was at a local card show this weekend I had a dealer give me a gift thanking me for doing my local card show walkthroughs. He said he enjoys watching them with his kid. Was very wholesome.
He does custom framing for cards, jerseys, and other memorabilia, and knowing I'm a Majerle fan from my random comments and pickups at the shows, he made a super cool piece for me.
It checks all the boxes for me. It's my favorite card brand, in one of my favorite design years, of my all time favorite basketball player, and it's autographed. One of the coolest gifts I've received in a long while.

*Collector since 1990 *Nothing for sale *Cards 🏈🏀 🤼🏒🏎️ *Comics 💀 *Games 🎮🖥️🖱️*Music 🎵 💿 *Movies 📼 💿
I make videos on my collection, mail times, card show walkthrus, and more: www.youtube.com/frankazhpcollectibles
green_stiller
HB Member
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by green_stiller »

That’s an awesome gift!!
Primary chase - Lamar Odom RC set
PC - Lamar Odom
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

^ That is one cool ass dealer.
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
cookies
HB Member
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by cookies »

that is awesome, what a cool gesture.

something a little different for me. Kyle from Wax Museum podcast posted a link to this on twitter and for $30 I had to scoop it up.
F1B73F72-6D99-451B-95AB-24C23912E228.jpeg
the floor piece came loose from the backing in the mail, which is fine by me because i wasn’t crazy about that part. trying to think of some way to repurpose the relic … or maybe will just display it loose on my shelf.
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

cookies wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:19 pmthe floor piece came loose from the backing in the mail, which is fine by me because i wasn’t crazy about that part. trying to think of some way to repurpose the relic … or maybe will just display it loose on my shelf.
I think it'd be sick to get a few cards made by Reclaim Customs (check him out on IG). He's done some cool stuff for Kyle from Wax Museum and I see his work on IG and it's fantastic.

Perhaps that'd allow you to keep one or two and offload the rest too. Dunno if that's your thing.
*Collector since 1990 *Nothing for sale *Cards 🏈🏀 🤼🏒🏎️ *Comics 💀 *Games 🎮🖥️🖱️*Music 🎵 💿 *Movies 📼 💿
I make videos on my collection, mail times, card show walkthrus, and more: www.youtube.com/frankazhpcollectibles
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

We already spoke about this set in the Photography thread, but I finally got the Penny in.
Attachments
848D4F35-0908-4A24-A1F3-1178D3FF2B41.jpeg
6B258ADF-50A6-43A5-B87F-DFC325CB89E7.jpeg
@darz90scardz on IG
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

Recent pickup on the bay. Raywaves are so nice.

mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

Love the Penny acetate.

Great looking parallel on that Raywave. First time seeing one of those. Reminds me a bit of the Prizm shock parallels but maybe a bit nicer even.
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

All pickups from my most recent Basketball Mail Time. Solid pickups.

I had won a single retail blaster pack of OTE 2021-22 for like $2, and the seller shipped it in a PWE. I was 100% positive I'd open the pack and they'd be ruined, but when I opened it, I got a pretty big surprise and it's in great shape.
Gold Raywave /50 (Retail Exclusive)

Another OTE Hobby Box:

A few Majerles from 2021 Topps Finest for the Majerle PC
ImageImage

Classic 1976-77 Rick Barry

And a Tony Parker Chrome RC
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

I love that Barry. Eventually I want to start adding pre-90s cards, I only have a handful in the collection.
@darz90scardz on IG
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

Just in. Always thought this set was propped up by their steep pack odds and isn’t anything remarkable. Something like this could’ve easily passed as a Metal subset, for example. There’s also a few cards in the set with some really boring photos imo, but thankfully the Penny isn’t one of them. Love the shot used.
Attachments
5E041A99-C46E-43B6-ACB3-9E5ADDE3053B.jpeg
343FEE69-BF0C-42E2-B66B-DE09F80807AC.jpeg
0909ED1A-99E5-4444-80E4-C611C6387783.jpeg
@darz90scardz on IG
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

I never understood the 'Hardware' set either and my sentiments reflect your own. Probably one of the more overpriced for no reason sets ever from the 90s.
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

darz90scardz wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:28 am Just in. Always thought this set was propped up by their steep pack odds and isn’t anything remarkable. Something like this could’ve easily passed as a Metal subset, for example. There’s also a few cards in the set with some really boring photos imo, but thankfully the Penny isn’t one of them. Love the shot used.
Seems like this set would have major edge issues with the gold color and foil.
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

AbraCalabro wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:08 am I never understood the 'Hardware' set either and my sentiments reflect your own. Probably one of the more overpriced for no reason sets ever from the 90s.
Once people started obsessing about perceived print runs of unnumbered cards the set really saw a lot of “coverage.” There’s really nothing notable about them other than the fact the player specific odds are 1:5,000+. I’ve seen people absolutely fawn over the design.

FrankAZHP wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:37 am Seems like this set would have major edge issues with the gold color and foil.
Someone had commented that it’s got a copper kind of look which is pretty accurate, but yea it’s that typical super thin Metal stock. I knew going in that the bottom right corner had a bit of white but I anticipated a surprise issue. Not the case. I don’t think it would be lower than a BGS 8.5. I guess I’ll find out eventually, still haven’t ever subbed cards before but this one will def be in the pile. My plan is probably the same as many others, which is to sell certain graded pc stuff just to buy them back raw as well as fund additional cards.
@darz90scardz on IG
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

darz90scardz wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:24 pm
AbraCalabro wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:08 am I never understood the 'Hardware' set either and my sentiments reflect your own. Probably one of the more overpriced for no reason sets ever from the 90s.
Once people started obsessing about perceived print runs of unnumbered cards the set really saw a lot of “coverage.” There’s really nothing notable about them other than the fact the player specific odds are 1:5,000+. I’ve seen people absolutely fawn over the design.
Lol. I have a Duncan, got it years ago. It's not terrible or anything but definitely one of my least favorite 90's inserts of his tbh. If it had a better photo like the Penny i'd probably like it more. I have also seen the more recent IG posts talking about how great these cards are, which seems to mostly revolve around how hard they are to pull..

It's like how people fawn over the 97 PMG's reds when there is nothing all that special about them except for the constant propping up from big names in the space. It's all hype. I see so many dudes justifying paying big money for those cards based on print run, perceived rarity, pop count, how iconic they are, etc... They just need to face reality, they bought the hype. :lol:
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

LOL

The pack odds stuff always cracked me up. It's one thing as a cool factoid for collectors, but when people start quoting the player specific odds in their impassioned IG posts, it's so obvious what's going on 99 times out of 100.

Sports Card Hobby Investor Collector Cards Lover Side Hustle_IG:

Odds of pulling insert X are 1:1,000 packs but there's ten players in the set, therefore it's really 1 in 10,000 packs! WOAH! So I'm saying it's worth WAY more than what you previously imagined. Check out my eBay listings! eBay user name SportsCardHobbyInvestorCollectorLoverSideHustle_IG. Really I'm a genuine guy. #whodoyoucollect #invest #thehobby #cigarettesarereallyexpensivenow #mydogknockedovermybongandIneedmoneyforanewone
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

This weekend's card show got me a decent haul of basketball.

I always wanted these gold Jordans even if "WCG 10s" are a joke. Maybe someday I'll send them to PSA to see what they actually grade while getting them out of these dirty/smoky weird slabs.
The Decade of Excellence sells for like $20 raw, and I paid $30 for all 3. I call that a big win.
ImageImageImage

Some classic Topps & Topps Chrome Penny. I shared them with darz90scardz on IG before I posted the pickups video as I was hype to share with someone hahahahahah
Both for $30. Another win.
ImageImage

And some young guys in Optic I didn't pay much for. Peep the Bagley label and tell me what PSA did wrong lol.
ImageImage
Duncancollector
HB Member
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Duncancollector »

I have shown parts of my mailday on Instagram already. But I want to post the whole mailday here as well.

Image1000018344 by Aron Gerstmann, auf Flickr

Image1000018345 by Aron Gerstmann, auf Flickr

Image1000018343 by Aron Gerstmann, auf Flickr

Dual Refractor
Image1000018342 by Aron Gerstmann, auf Flickr

Image1000018341 by Aron Gerstmann, auf Flickr
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

Love the graded pickups Frank! Great Jordan’s, those Topps 40th refractors are awesome too! Looks like they missed the “Optic” on that Bagley.. 😄

Great Duncans! Totally jealous of that finest gold, that card is killer! I also really like the side by side refractor. I was looking for one of those awhile back then kind of forgot about it. Those are hard to come by!
ChrisP57
HB Member
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 318 times

Post by ChrisP57 »

Two nice pickups came in the mail today!

First up, can't say no to Topps Chrome Colored Refractors of All Time Greats!!

And I've been wanting a Luka Cosmic Rookie FOREVER, the ones on Ebay have just always been so expensive but I finally found one where the seller was willing to let go at a decent prince

FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

ChrisP57 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:38 amFirst up, can't say no to Topps Chrome Colored Refractors of All Time Greats!!
That Black Duncan refractor is absolutely amazing!!!

Here's my most recent pickup from 1 of the 2 Arizona shows I attended on Saturday.

darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

^ I’m partial to some of the later year Chrome inserts including Zone Busters. I had to trade away the Kobe refractor as part of a deal for the Penny ud3 season ticket, but that is a great looking set.

Speaking of, if no one’s seen an In the Paint refractor in hand before, you might wana try dat.
@darz90scardz on IG
ChrisP57
HB Member
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 318 times

Post by ChrisP57 »

Small Luka Mailday today. 2022-23 Panini Chinese Revolution Emerald Parallel numbered to 88