Other Than Cards, What Other Collectible Hobbys Do You Participate In?

Post all off-topic discussions here
SHowley2003
HB Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 22 times

Other Than Cards, What Other Collectible Hobbys Do You Participate In?

Post by SHowley2003 »

There’s something about a collector, we rarely collect only one thing. What else is everyone into?

Since having kids I’ve gotten more and more into Lego. I keep it to a very few sets. They just take up too much room. I do love building them though. This is my latest build.

@SHowley2003
Smalltown
HB Member

Re: Other Than Cards, What Other Collectible Hobbys Do You Participate In?

Post by Smalltown »

We're a big Lego house too. Literally over a thousand sets. We (my son and I) still have all my sets from the 80s. We did these again recently, but I didn't take a pic before they were disassembled again. My original castle sets.

Collecting: Raptors, Canadian Basketball Players, Vintage & More.
PC: https://www.instagram.com/smalltown.cards/
SHowley2003
HB Member

Post by SHowley2003 »

I don’t follow the Lego hobby in this regard, but I bet a lot of those castle sets are worth a decent amount these days.
@SHowley2003
FrankAZHP
HB Member
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by FrankAZHP »

I collect a lot of different things (noted in signature).
Recently I decided to make a new header for Twitter / pinned triple square for IG and did a little collage of sorts to represent much of what I collect. I think it turned out pretty good:
Last edited by FrankAZHP on Mon May 29, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Collector since 1990 *Nothing for sale *Cards 🏈🏀 🤼🏒🏎️ *Comics 💀 *Games 🎮🖥️🖱️*Music 🎵 💿 *Movies 📼 💿
I make videos on my collection, mail times, card show walkthrus, and more: www.youtube.com/frankazhpcollectibles
green_stiller
HB Member
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by green_stiller »

I got a succulent lego set for my desk at work as a gift, never realized they made 18+ legos before!

Does eating count as a hobby?
Primary chase - Lamar Odom RC set
PC - Lamar Odom
Smalltown
HB Member

Post by Smalltown »

green_stiller wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:23 pmDoes eating count as a hobby?
Absolutely.

Collecting: Raptors, Canadian Basketball Players, Vintage & More.
PC: https://www.instagram.com/smalltown.cards/
captainbohica
HB Member

Post by captainbohica »

Used to collect funkos until the wifey put the kibosh after running out of room LOL
IG: justtheaveragecollector
LF: 1990 Marvel Universe PSA 10's
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

Outside of cards I’m a bit addicted to 1/6 scale “adult” action figures. These things can cost like $100+ so the kids get to look at them but not touch.. 😄

Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
tastycardsandwich
HB Member

Post by tastycardsandwich »

I've collected a ton of things throughout the course of my life: comics, pez dispensers, action figures, video games, pocket schedules, bobble heads. But the constant that I always go back to is cards.

Last year when I turned 40 I decided that I want to devote the rest of my collecting life to cards.

Since then been moving my non card collectibles through my collecting networks and putting the money into getting some cards I would likely never get with paycheck money.

Keeping a select group of favorites. And there are a handful of carded GI Joes and comics I'd like to get at some point. Otherwise, it's cards from here on out.

ps - this is my first post on here.
I am a tasty boy. A tasty tasty tasty boy. Nom nom nom. TASTY! @tastycardsandwich on instagram.
siuwongkee
HB Supporter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by siuwongkee »

I used to collect Marvel/DC statues. I still have like 15 statues from XM studios in my mini storage. But I consider them a part of the room decoration more than collection. (Because it is impossible to keep the boxes of the statues, so they basically have zero second hand value)
FB: siuwongkee
IG: siuwongkee
GeechQuest
HB Member

Post by GeechQuest »

My biggest hobby is education. I love learning about new things, new ideas, new interests.

I’m (undiagnosed formally) OCD, so when I find I new subject that interests me I dive in head first and usually spend ALL my time gathering all the knowledge I possibly can.

I’ve run the gamut of interests over the past 20 years:

-Jerseys
-Sneakers
-UFOs
-Business
-Markets
-Cards
-Health

If it’s something that’s interesting to me, chances are I’ve got an an awkward amount of knowledge on the subject.

Cards are the ONE thing that I always have in my back pocket though. They’re not that difficult to understand, there’s history, the hobby moves slowly (or at whatever pace you’d like).

There is a reason it’s called THE HOBBY.
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

Smalltown wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:44 am
green_stiller wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:23 pmDoes eating count as a hobby?
Absolutely.

That looks GREAT. My brother and a few more distant relatives have gotten into smoking (meats) in the last several years and more recently sous vide. I haven't joined in but I certainly do enjoy the fruits of their labor!
tastycardsandwich wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:08 pm I've collected a ton of things throughout the course of my life: comics, pez dispensers, action figures, video games, pocket schedules, bobble heads. But the constant that I always go back to is cards.

Last year when I turned 40 I decided that I want to devote the rest of my collecting life to cards.

Since then been moving my non card collectibles through my collecting networks and putting the money into getting some cards I would likely never get with paycheck money.

Keeping a select group of favorites. And there are a handful of carded GI Joes and comics I'd like to get at some point. Otherwise, it's cards from here on out.

ps - this is my first post on here.
I definitely read pez dispensers as "diapers" at first glance. Became slightly concerned. But apparently just the parent of two youngins coming out in me.

I have a similar just general love of the act of collecting and like the idea of collecting stuff too, as OP alluded too. In some fashion I've collected cards, video games, jerseys, books (no significant printing/edition), and vinyls. Video games and books just came naturally out of playing/reading them. What made you end up to solely focus in on cards? Sounds like a great way to build your card collection by moving other collectibles in favor of cards.
GeechQuest wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:00 am My biggest hobby is education. I love learning about new things, new ideas, new interests.

I’m (undiagnosed formally) OCD, so when I find I new subject that interests me I dive in head first and usually spend ALL my time gathering all the knowledge I possibly can.

-Jerseys
-Sneakers
-UFOs
-Business
-Markets
-Cards
-Health

If it’s something that’s interesting to me, chances are I’ve got an an awkward amount of knowledge on the subject.

Cards are the ONE thing that I always have in my back pocket though. They’re not that difficult to understand, there’s history, the hobby moves slowly (or at whatever pace you’d like).

Okay I LOVE to learn too. Love to listen to podcasts and read books or articles on various topics, but I run into a problem maybe you can help me with. How do you decide where to begin? There's infinite topics with infinite sources of information on them out there and I just get overwhelmed when I'm trying to educate myself on something new.
GeechQuest
HB Member

Post by GeechQuest »

[/quote]

Okay I LOVE to learn too. Love to listen to podcasts and read books or articles on various topics, but I run into a problem maybe you can help me with. How do you decide where to begin? There's infinite topics with infinite sources of information on them out there and I just get overwhelmed when I'm trying to educate myself on something new.
[/quote]

I just jump in.

If I wanted to get into BBQ (above), I’d do some googling and probably start compiling a list of some of the agreed upon top people in the field.

Then I’d see if said people have an online presence and dive into anything/everything they’ve said on the topic. Reach out to said people with questions if need be.

Just network my way to the upper echelon in the arena, if possible.
daeve
HB Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by daeve »

Other than cards I've got mostly smallish collections of music [vinyl, cassettes, t shirts], vintage movie [mostly sci-fi] t shirts, some vintage fashion magazines, a few old SI issues, and some independent comics, science/alt journals & graphic novels, both old and new.
SHowley2003
HB Member

Post by SHowley2003 »

daeve wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:04 pm Other than cards I've got mostly smallish collections of music [vinyl, cassettes, t shirts], vintage movie [mostly sci-fi] t shirts, some vintage fashion magazines, a few old SI issues, and some independent comics, science/alt journals & graphic novels, both old and new.
That’s really cool. A very diverse collection. For the media that you collect, are you seeking stuff that you will read/watch/listen to? Or stuff that is kept in the original condition?
@SHowley2003
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

GeechQuest wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:00 am My biggest hobby is education. I love learning about new things, new ideas, new interests.

-Jerseys
-Sneakers
-UFOs
-Business
-Markets
-Cards
-Health

I’m inclined to think a good chunk of collectors have had ocd at one point or another.
Collected coins for a while but in no way am I active anymore. Still have a strong interest in them though, especially Morgan silver dollars. Leme holla at your CCs.

Outside of the collectibles world, my main obsession has been a game called Unreal Tournament. It won game of the year in 1999, and I’ve been playing it ever since. A group of us were in communication with Epic Games and even invited to their offices in NC for what was to be their new Unreal Tournament release, about 15 years after the original. We’d give feedback on things like weapon balance, scaling and movement features. Early in development Epic featured a lot of my videos on their Youtube channel too, but ultimately the rerelease never saw the light of day thanks to Fortnite. Completely different kind of shooter and it zapped any of their remaining efforts because of the insane success of Fortnite.

In the last couple years a small group of top older players from the original game started organizing matches again for one last push. This was one of the promotional vids I had made to get past players to return. Fun times.

Oh and if anyone’s ever heard of Fatal1ty before, had a little fun at his expense a few years ago.
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

darz90scardz wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:39 pmOutside of the collectibles world, my main obsession has been a game called Unreal Tournament. It won game of the year in 1999, and I’ve been playing it ever since. A group of us were in communication with Epic Games and even invited to their offices in NC for what was to be their new Unreal Tournament release, about 15 years after the original. We’d give feedback on things like weapon balance, scaling and movement features. Early in development Epic featured a lot of my videos on their Youtube channel too, but ultimately the rerelease never saw the light of day thanks to Fortnite. Completely different kind of shooter and it zapped any of their remaining efforts because of the insane success of Fortnite.

In the last couple years a small group of top older players from the original game started organizing matches again for one last push. This was one of the promotional vids I had made to get past players to return. Fun times.
https://youtu.be/HVqK0NlqgtA

Oh and if anyone’s ever heard of Fatal1ty before, had a little fun at his expense a few years ago.
https://youtu.be/EvpmjAqf3Xw
This is awesome!

I'm a big fan of UT99. It's in my collection (as I collect my extended personal Top 50). Played the hell out of it back in the day (alongside Q3A & Tribes2) and also ran a bunch of LAN tournaments on it back in the mid to late 2000s.

Someday I'll pick up a nice PC Big Box CIB, but it's pricey so for now i've settled for the jewel case that came out of the big box.

ImageImage

No way I'd be able to hold up to former pros nowadays, but it's something I come back to every few years and always have a lot of fun with it.
*Collector since 1990 *Nothing for sale *Cards 🏈🏀 🤼🏒🏎️ *Comics 💀 *Games 🎮🖥️🖱️*Music 🎵 💿 *Movies 📼 💿
I make videos on my collection, mail times, card show walkthrus, and more: www.youtube.com/frankazhpcollectibles
daeve
HB Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by daeve »

SHowley2003 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:10 pm
daeve wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:04 pm Other than cards I've got mostly smallish collections of music [vinyl, cassettes, t shirts], vintage movie [mostly sci-fi] t shirts, some vintage fashion magazines, a few old SI issues, and some independent comics, science/alt journals & graphic novels, both old and new.
That’s really cool. A very diverse collection. For the media that you collect, are you seeking stuff that you will read/watch/listen to? Or stuff that is kept in the original condition?
Thanks! Usually it's something I want to get into, and usually I do use it / read it. Some stuff I've kept sealed though, or if in an 'un-sealed'/open state, have kept it in the condition I've found it.
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

FrankAZHP wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:10 pm
darz90scardz wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:39 pmOutside of the collectibles world, my main obsession has been a game called Unreal Tournament. It won game of the year in 1999, and I’ve been playing it ever since. A group of us were in communication with Epic Games and even invited to their offices in NC for what was to be their new Unreal Tournament release, about 15 years after the original. We’d give feedback on things like weapon balance, scaling and movement features. Early in development Epic featured a lot of my videos on their Youtube channel too, but ultimately the rerelease never saw the light of day thanks to Fortnite. Completely different kind of shooter and it zapped any of their remaining efforts because of the insane success of Fortnite.

https://youtu.be/HVqK0NlqgtA

https://youtu.be/EvpmjAqf3Xw
This is awesome!

I'm a big fan of UT99. It's in my collection (as I collect my extended personal Top 50). Played the hell out of it back in the day (alongside Q3A & Tribes2) and also ran a bunch of LAN tournaments on it back in the mid to late 2000s.

Someday I'll pick up a nice PC Big Box CIB, but it's pricey so for now i've settled for the jewel case that came out of the big box.

ImageImage

No way I'd be able to hold up to former pros nowadays, but it's something I come back to every few years and always have a lot of fun with it.
Come hop in a Deathmatch server sometime, it’s pretty much all skill levels. The TDM pickup games and tournaments we hosted are really the only place someone would have trouble starting out. I can invite you to the discord where all the active IPs are listed. Epic shut down the master server list sometime this year. What a tragedy.

It’s really cool seeing the jewel case again. I still have the big box lying around somewhere. I’m curious to see your top 50 list, can of course already tell you have good taste with the inclusion of UT, lol.

If I collected physical games I would love to have a PS1 collection. As much as I loved older systems there’s something about that run of titles that I’m most nostalgic for. Unfortunately I gave all my games away to a cousin who probably sold them all. Come to think of it I think I gave him some NES, Master System and Genesis games too. Had to have been around 40-50 in total.

I don’t know what I was thinking.
@darz90scardz on IG
FrankAZHP
HB Member

Post by FrankAZHP »

darz90scardz wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:09 am Come hop in a Deathmatch server sometime, it’s pretty much all skill levels. The TDM pickup games and tournaments we hosted are really the only place someone would have trouble starting out. I can invite you to the discord where all the active IPs are listed. Epic shut down the master server list sometime this year. What a tragedy.

It’s really cool seeing the jewel case again. I still have the big box lying around somewhere. I’m curious to see your top 50 list, can of course already tell you have good taste with the inclusion of UT, lol.

If I collected physical games I would love to have a PS1 collection. As much as I loved older systems there’s something about that run of titles that I’m most nostalgic for. Unfortunately I gave all my games away to a cousin who probably sold them all. Come to think of it I think I gave him some NES, Master System and Genesis games too. Had to have been around 40-50 in total.

I don’t know what I was thinking.
I will consider it, but I don't have a tremendous amount of time to play games nowadays so when I do play I focus on getting thru my backlog.

I don't have my top 50 public right now, and recently I started adjusting it for the first time in over a decade, so it's still kinda in progress and being updated now. I changed a lot in my top 20 for the first time in a long time, but it's hard to narrow down past 20 as stuff just blends in. I'll copy/paste most of it here. Sorry if it's a long image and stretches and is small font. Hopefully you can read it lol I tried to get it all in 1 shot, there's a few not ranked at the bottom below what I copied. You can see I listed "Old Order" for each game, but don't have the "New Order" guaranteed set in stone on anything yet, tho it was last attempted to be ordered with favorites on top.
As you can see by my list I'm also very fond of PS1. Unfortunately they are not cheap anymore, so it may cost a pretty penny to start collecting some of those classics.
I moved a few months ago and starting putting SOME of it on a shelf. I've got a lot more, but I mainly just collect my favorites. idgaf about collecting like every game of a certain library or whatever. #collectwhatyoulike right?
ImageImage
SHowley2003
HB Member

Post by SHowley2003 »

The weather in the Boston area was trash this weekend so I took the kids to the Legoland Discovery Center and of course on the way out we each had to get a set to build at the Lego shop.

@SHowley2003
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

darz90scardz wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:39 pm
I’m inclined to think a good chunk of collectors have had ocd at one point or another.
Collected coins for a while but in no way am I active anymore. Still have a strong interest in them though, especially Morgan silver dollars. Leme holla at your CCs.

Outside of the collectibles world, my main obsession has been a game called Unreal Tournament. It won game of the year in 1999, and I’ve been playing it ever since. A group of us were in communication with Epic Games and even invited to their offices in NC for what was to be their new Unreal Tournament release, about 15 years after the original. We’d give feedback on things like weapon balance, scaling and movement features. Early in development Epic featured a lot of my videos on their Youtube channel too, but ultimately the rerelease never saw the light of day thanks to Fortnite. Completely different kind of shooter and it zapped any of their remaining efforts because of the insane success of Fortnite.
Missed this at first but that's awesome man! What's funny is I found a job listing after I graduated college which had Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 arena experience as a plus. I applied right away as I basically had my entire house at the time (myself and some other roommates were renting) wired up for lan play for UT and other multiplayer games. I got that job and ended up working there for about 10 years. About a year into it UT 2003 released so we mostly switched over to that, but i'll always have found memories of classic Unreal Tournament.
mindcycle
HB Supporter

Post by mindcycle »

SHowley2003 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:07 pm The weather in the Boston area was trash this weekend so I took the kids to the Legoland Discovery Center and of course on the way out we each had to get a set to build at the Lego shop.

Nice!
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

mindcycle wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:16 am
darz90scardz wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:39 pm

Missed this at first but that's awesome man! What's funny is I found a job listing after I graduated college which had Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 arena experience as a plus. I applied right away as I basically had my entire house at the time (myself and some other roommates were renting) wired up for lan play for UT and other multiplayer games. I got that job and ended up working there for about 10 years. About a year into it UT 2003 released so we mostly switched over to that, but i'll always have found memories of classic Unreal Tournament.
Oh man, I never expected 2 past UT players to respond. Nice. I remember 2k3 relatively quickly giving way to 2k4, it was more or less the same game, just polished / bug-fixed. I played both but returned to UT99 after a few months, the 2k versions always felt a bit too “floaty” to me. We managed to keep 99 going for the last few years with nightly duels and TDM pickup games. Made our own stats tracking/site, various mappers, etc. Completely self-sufficient community of players, a good portion of whom I’ve known for 20 years.

That’s awesome how you were able to work in something related for so long. Being in the field in any capacity was always my dream. I still think from a spectator’s viewpoint that Q3/Arena is to this day is the most entertaining competitive game, especially duels. I’ve never seen another video game require that much skill and as much as I love UT I don’t think it’s as fluid of a viewing experience.
@darz90scardz on IG
threepointplay
HB Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by threepointplay »

There are some great other collectibles in here; but that is probably no surprise, as if you have the 'collecting gene' it is often difficult to keep it under control and limit to one particular item / product! ;)

Although I have been collecting sports cards since the 1990s, in reality it is my second 'passion'. The first is vinyl records. I am of an age that when I entered my teenage years (in the early 1980s) and started to seriously listen to music, vinyl was the only available format. CDs started to appear soon after, but only really became an affordable option in the early 1990s. I was heavily into hip-hop at the time and messed around with DJing as a hobby. By the time vinyl had dissapeared from most record shops and the vast majority of people had switched over to CDs, I looked at my record collection and decided that I was in too deep and it was going to cost me a small fortune to switch it over to CDs. So I stuck with vinyl and kept on adding to it. I was fortunate that my corporate career had global responsibilites, meaning I got to travel a decent amount & I would invariably hunt down local second hand record shops as result. I ended up with a collection that filled up three of these units in a small London flat!

When I called time on that career, I decided to turn that passion into a small business. So in 2017 I opened up a small record shop, which is now my daily home:

Turning a hobby/passion into a business does slightly change your interaction with it. Whilst I still love music & have an ever growing record collection (I am only buying things 'at cost' ofter all) spending my time on it 'after hours' would now drive me a little insane; there has to be something else to give my brain a break! Having got the shop firmly on its feet a few, collecting sports cards has very much plugged that 'hobby' gap!