1924 Ogdens Leaders of Men - Full Set

Garbage Pail Kids, Disney, Movies, TV, & all other non-sports cards and hobby talk
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

1924 Ogdens Leaders of Men - Full Set

Post by mindcycle »

I’ve been chasing this set for the past year or so. Mostly picking up smaller lots here and there as I saw them show up. Eventually completed it and it’s looking pretty nice with everything together I must say..

This release has lots of well known historical figures represented. They are also way more affordable than tobacco cards of popular baseball players of the same time period so your not spending an arm and a leg to put together a set, or just to own a few nice looking cards from that time period.

Here’s what the card backs look like.
DE4219D8-A357-4E94-A9F6-182464928F3D.jpeg
If anyone is currently chasing the set or wants to start I have plenty of doubles now!
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
ZSCollects
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time

Re: 1924 Ogdens Leaders of Men - Full Set

Post by ZSCollects »

I love these! I have been really interested in Cigarette cards lately.
I want to start chasing the 1888 A&G Birds of America set. I have no idea how to go about identifying fakes and counterfeits though. Any tips?
Main PC: NYGiants (Team Sets, Game Used, Autos & SPs)
Side PC: NYRangers, NYKnicks, HOF Players (RC/GU/Autos), Yankees GU Pinstripes
I love building full sets, Insert Sets, Complete Sets, TCG, Cigarette Cards & more!
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: 1924 Ogdens Leaders of Men - Full Set

Post by mindcycle »

ZSCollects wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:57 pm I love these! I have been really interested in Cigarette cards lately.
I want to start chasing the 1888 A&G Birds of America set. I have no idea how to go about identifying fakes and counterfeits though. Any tips?
Thanks! Yeah it's a great set.

I'm far from an expert on tobacco cards, but rule of thumb for counterfeits seems to be that if they have significant value fakes probably exist. For the Leaders of Men set the only two cards that carry any kind of larger value are the Lincoln and Washington cards. But we're talking like $50-$75 on the high side for those. Given that I doubt it would be worth it for anyone to create counterfeits.

Best bet IMO would be to buy a couple lower valued/condition cards from the set you are looking at and use those to compare against anything you get that's carries a higher cost where it might be more profitable to fake.
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards