2022-23 Chronicles is Live

Basketball cards and sports talk
Deadshot
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

2022-23 Chronicles is Live

Post by Deadshot »

Even though I get tired of seeing these cards at card shows...I have to confess: I enjoy looking through the Chronicles checklist and seeing what brands and photos were used for each new release. The new product is showing up on eBay and the checklist is online:

https://www.paniniamerica.net/checklist.html

I always like the Hoops Premium design but hated the product because it was printed to the moon. It's back in Chronicles in a more limited format. I am kinda excited about that.

Feel free to discuss the product in this thread!
MAMASCOOKINPC
HB Member

Re: 2022-23 Chronicles is Live

Post by MAMASCOOKINPC »

I enjoyed the product as well. The inserts translated well in chrome holos. I’m glad they stopped releasing it as a standalone. The quality control was horrible on the hoops premium release. Dimples galore, off centered cards, horrible registration. If you were lucky to find a clean card, the stamping around the logos and boarders were off (registration). Sometimes a quarter inch off. That’s something most people don’t look for when buying online.
PC:
BIG KWAME BROWN (Anything I’m missing)
Shawn Kemp (90s inserts only)
Marbury (PSA graded cards and a few 90s Monsters)
IG: @mamascookinpc
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

I saw a Jokic Hoops gold from Chronicles pop up on one of my eBay saved searches. Looks pretty nice actually. Just got listed and it's already bid up to $20, so i'll probably go after the next one.. :lol:

Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
Deadshot
HB Member

Post by Deadshot »

I kinda thought they might do a chromium version of the 2022 Hoops release, but that looks like the 2021 design if I'm not mistaken. Am I seeing things?!?
green_stiller
HB Member
Has liked: 80 times

Post by green_stiller »

The Portrait/Pinnacle autos are a nice addition. The Vertex set is pretty sweet visually and the Swirls /25 remind me of some of the old Ultimate Victories

I’m a fan! Limited desirable autos, all stickers that I’ve seen. The national treasures addition is interesting, but the gold standard base look nice to have too!

Seen some cool looking Mathurins in openings.
Primary chase - Lamar Odom RC set
PC - Lamar Odom
TranquiloCards
HB Member

Post by TranquiloCards »

Deadshot wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:51 pm I kinda thought they might do a chromium version of the 2022 Hoops release, but that looks like the 2021 design if I'm not mistaken. Am I seeing things?!?
Weird. That is the 2021 design. 19-20 Hoops Premium Stock holds a special place in my heart, so I was excited to see it being included in Chronicles. But that's a pretty strange move to specifically include last year's design.
PC: Celtics, Tatum, Pierce, Sonics Kemp, Magic Shaq, Wrestling
IG: https://www.instagram.com/tranquilocards
Deadshot
HB Member

Post by Deadshot »

TranquiloCards wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:54 am
Deadshot wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:51 pm I kinda thought they might do a chromium version of the 2022 Hoops release, but that looks like the 2021 design if I'm not mistaken. Am I seeing things?!?
Weird. That is the 2021 design. 19-20 Hoops Premium Stock holds a special place in my heart, so I was excited to see it being included in Chronicles. But that's a pretty strange move to specifically include last year's design.
My only guess is they had to get an earlier start with the chromium stuff, but it still seems odd.
threepointplay
HB Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by threepointplay »

As someone who started out set collecting in the mid-1990s, I do not think I will ever get used to looking at a checklist which has over 10,000 lines on it!
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

This is actually more of a question about 2021-22 chronicles, but I think its relevant here because the parallel is on the 22-23 checklist. Has anyone heard of or seen one of the "Asia lava" parallels? They're unnumbered and I presume look somewhat like the revolution lava, but not a single image of one I can find anywhere and nothing listed for sale.
HoopsHobby
HB Member

Post by HoopsHobby »

Anyone else wish there were more non-rookies in Chronicles? The Pacers only have one card in the base set that’s a non-rookie, for example. I get that the appeal of the product is all the rookies but I would be in favor of a larger set to see more players on some of these other designs.
https://hoopshobby.com/
Collecting Indiana Pacers inserts and parallels along with Tim Duncan
green_stiller
HB Member
Has liked: 80 times

Post by green_stiller »

HoopsHobby wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:25 pm Anyone else wish there were more non-rookies in Chronicles? The Pacers only have one card in the base set that’s a non-rookie, for example. I get that the appeal of the product is all the rookies but I would be in favor of a larger set to see more players on some of these other designs.
I like that it’s star centric. I think they could shave the bottom 5% of rookies in exchange for more current players, but I also feel like it’s where Panini dumps the bulk of their rookie sticker autos they contractually (?) collect and don’t release in Draft Picks. I do wonder how much they hold back as an easy lever to adjust for future releases - if they expanded the checklist with more non-RCs it’s an easy way to up print run with this many sets included in future years.

I am very curious to see what Fanatics does to backfill this particular release (if any).

It’s my favorite product value wise. If I were to buy a hobby box, this would be it.
Primary chase - Lamar Odom RC set
PC - Lamar Odom
workingclasscards
HB Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by workingclasscards »

I actually like that Chronicles is rookie heavy.
Its supposed to be a cheap set so kids can afford cool looking cards of their favorite players.
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

I hadn't thought about it before but I actually would probably prefer Chronicles take out the 5% of lowest rookies as mentioned by green_stiller in favor of more all stars. Although, I suppose if you think about the insane amount of cards produced of every player, maybe those rookies are the right way to go as they likely will fall out of future sets and more prominent vets have tons of cards released and to come.