Cards you wish you kept

Basketball cards and sports talk
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Cards you wish you kept

Post by darz90scardz »

I was going through some old pics, and it occurred to me that mourning has its place. Let us reflect.
mjsilver1090.jpg
003.jpg
mj warp speed.png
McCloud was an SP. This one's extra tragic because immediately after letting it go, his son reached out to me inquiring about it. Now that would've been a cool sale. Oh, and I also went against one my cardinal rules of selling childhood pulls.
IMG_2046.JPG
mj_finest_series2.png
kobe generations refractor.png
poverty12.png
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
ChrisP57
HB Member
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 318 times

Re: Cards you wish you kept

Post by ChrisP57 »

This thread is going to make me sick. I got out of the Hobby in 2011 and sold the majority of my collection. I used to have a blog that I would document my cards and it HURTS to see what I used to own. I'll contribute to this thread as much as can before I start crying lol

Yeah I'll stop at that last one for now..because I really MISS THAT ONE.
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

@darz90scardz on IG
ChrisP57
HB Member

Post by ChrisP57 »

darz90scardz wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:29 pm Image
The reason I sold off my collection was because I got bored with cards after Panini took over the basketball license and I wanted to move into Game Used Memorabilia collecting. So in order to try to make me feel better I tell myself if I hadn't sold off, I wouldn't have the game used collection I have now.

Spoiler alert...it really doesn't work lol
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

ChrisP57 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:27 am
The reason I sold off my collection was because I got bored with cards after Panini took over the basketball license and I wanted to move into Game Used Memorabilia collecting. So in order to try to make me feel better I tell myself if I hadn't sold off, I wouldn't have the game used collection I have now.

Dare I ask how many cards sold off are not pictured?
@darz90scardz on IG
ChrisP57
HB Member

Post by ChrisP57 »

darz90scardz wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:50 pm
ChrisP57 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:27 am

Dare I ask how many cards sold off are not pictured?
I'm a glutton for punishment..I'll show some more off lol..and that doesn't include the baseball football and hockey I had....it's painful lol
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

I knew this thread would eventually show up, and I knew i'd be going back through my old FS/FT on Flickr shedding some tears.. :lol:

So here ya go..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143610104 ... 9846402191

Some highlights of cards I definitely wish I would have kept. Maybe just for a few more years.. lol

Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
ChrisP57
HB Member

Post by ChrisP57 »

mindcycle wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:53 pm I knew this thread would eventually show up, and I knew i'd be going back through my old FS/FT on Flickr shedding some tears.. :lol:

So here ya go..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143610104 ... 9846402191

Some highlights of cards I definitely wish I would have kept. Maybe just for a few more years.. lol

I had a Jordan 7.5 Fleer too :cry:
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

Damn nice stuff.

I never had an 86 mj but remember not buying a psa 8 because of something like a $100 difference, lol. Want to say this was 2015. Oops.

Tbh I don’t have the desire to own one, it just sucks because I know I would’ve sold it once prices went tardo to buy some of his inserts.
@darz90scardz on IG
kingofsnake
HB Member
Been liked: 27 times

Post by kingofsnake »

After being in the hobby for more than 30 years, I have more than my share of hobby regrets. I feel that my biggest one is the following:

In 1998, I went to a card show in White Plains, New York. Skybox Molten Metal had just come out and I bought a few packs from a vendor I recognized from Manhattan. I was looking for Autographics (which were seeded one per box) but I pulled a Michael Jordan Fusion Titanium card serial-numbered 1 of 40. Back then, hobby information was not nearly as accessible as it is now, and I didn't quite understand what I had pulled, honestly. Also I was a fresh university graduate at the time, and frankly needed the money. Long story short, I sold the card for $1,000.

I also broke several boxes of 2000 Contenders Football with my brother and pulled multiple Tom Brady rookies. I think we sold them for about $30 a piece. Tough titties.
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

kingofsnake wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:03 pm After being in the hobby for more than 30 years, I have more than my share of hobby regrets. I feel that my biggest one is the following:

In 1998, I went to a card show in White Plains, New York. Skybox Molten Metal had just come out and I bought a few packs from a vendor I recognized from Manhattan. I was looking for Autographics (which were seeded one per box) but I pulled a Michael Jordan Fusion Titanium card serial-numbered 1 of 40. Back then, hobby information was not nearly as accessible as it is now, and I didn't quite understand what I had pulled, honestly. Also I was a fresh university graduate at the time, and frankly needed the money. Long story short, I sold the card for $1,000.

I also broke several boxes of 2000 Contenders Football with my brother and pulled multiple Tom Brady rookies. I think we sold them for about $30 a piece. Tough titties.
I thought this was going to lead into how the vendor fleeced you on it, but at least it was a strong offer for that time.

I think about how hitting big cards in front of shop owners back then was often a curse.
-pull case or even box hit from a single pack, get offered the remaining packs in the box.
It was like winning a small lotto and being offered more tickets for the cash.
@darz90scardz on IG
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

AbraCalabro wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:26 am Image
Teach me kardboard zen.
@darz90scardz on IG
MAMASCOOKINPC
HB Member

Post by MAMASCOOKINPC »

All of them. The list can go on from dealers fleecing me to having to sell grails to acquire what felt like a grail (until a second and third copy of the card made its way on eBay after a long hiatus). And none of them at the same time. If I factor in all the underpriced late night BINs, poorly listed titles, hidden gems found in a lot, it’s a wash for me.
PC:
BIG KWAME BROWN (Anything I’m missing)
Shawn Kemp (90s inserts only)
Marbury (PSA graded cards and a few 90s Monsters)
IG: @mamascookinpc
MAMASCOOKINPC
HB Member

Post by MAMASCOOKINPC »

I will say though, one that hurt was selling a flawless 2 color jumbo patch of Maravich #/9. I even let it go fairly cheap knowing that it was going to a good pc. The reason I sold was to have the funds needed to buy a 96 marbury legacy row 0. I end up losing the auction and rage buying bin cards that were sitting on eBay just to get my fix.
PC:
BIG KWAME BROWN (Anything I’m missing)
Shawn Kemp (90s inserts only)
Marbury (PSA graded cards and a few 90s Monsters)
IG: @mamascookinpc
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

MAMASCOOKINPC wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:35 am I will say though, one that hurt was selling a flawless 2 color jumbo patch of Maravich #/9. I even let it go fairly cheap knowing that it was going to a good pc. The reason I sold was to have the funds needed to buy a 96 marbury legacy row 0. I end up losing the auction and rage buying bin cards that were sitting on eBay just to get my fix.
oof

brutal

Sorry that happened dude. The 96 Row 0 Legacy parallels are one of the best, if not the best of parallels from the 90s.
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

darz90scardz wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:36 am Teach me kardboard zen.

I'm the founder of the 'Cards will become pretty cheap again some day so I will just buy back whatever I want if I care at that point' Cult with Marshall Applewhite levels of dedication.

Join now!

Costs you nothing up front.
watashiwa05
HB Member

Post by watashiwa05 »

I don’t have any real regrets. But I do get nostalgic for this Kobe when I see it elsewhere.
Attachments
IMG_3135.jpeg
Collecting KD and Russ
Inserts > Autos/Mem
benxcrunner1
HB Member

Post by benxcrunner1 »

Damn selling that molten metal fusion MJ for 1k back then wasn't bad. Crazy to think where it is now though