2023 WNBA Season Chat

Basketball cards and sports talk
SHowley2003
HB Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 22 times

2023 WNBA Season Chat

Post by SHowley2003 »

Anyone out there following the league, a favorite team or player this season? I started really getting into the WNBA several years ago when Lexie Brown, Dee Brown's daughter, turned pro. She's been playing some of the best ball of her career this season with LA. Since then, I've been fortunate to become a "girl dad" and my daughter and I have started to follow the Connecticut Sun. After trading some big pieces from their roster following a Final appearance and salary cap crunch, they are off to a fantastic start. I also try to keep an eye on pros from Massachusetts, with the most notable young talent being Veronica Burton in Dallas. Her Wings just fell to the Sun this afternoon.

I honestly find the brand of basketball played in the WNBA to be refreshing. It's a better team game. The ball moves around the court much smoother, and the offenses are always designed to seek the best shot, not an attempt to draw a foul by seeking out contact over making the right play. It's also amazing how female athletes, who weight 1/3 of what someone like Embiid weighs, seem to get knocked to the ground with much less frequency. I guess the game just isn't as physical...

Thoughts on the current season?

And because this is a hobby forum…. My first ever WNBA card. Prizm Gold /10. I need to get a better picture of this. It looks like the orange parallel here.

@SHowley2003
Smalltown
HB Member

Re: 2023 WNBA Season Chat

Post by Smalltown »

I got a chance to go to the sold-out WNBA Canada game in the preseason. The atmosphere was incredible and many believe the WNBA was using this as a test drive for expansion into Toronto. I think it would be an absolute smash here and can't wait for it to happen.

Collecting: Raptors, Canadian Basketball Players, Vintage & More.
PC: https://www.instagram.com/smalltown.cards/
workingclasscards
HB Member
Been liked: 3 times

Post by workingclasscards »

Sabally is finally playing like the star people assumed she would be from day one.
It's interesting how many Dallas fans were upset management let go of Mabrey, Allisha Gray, and Harrison.
However, the lack of offensive talent has forced Sabally to do more as she, Arike, and Howard are the true offensive options on this team.
I wonder how the dynamic will change when Deshields (a top 10 usage player) comes back from injury.
SHowley2003
HB Member

Post by SHowley2003 »

workingclasscards wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:00 am Sabally is finally playing like the star people assumed she would be from day one.
It's interesting how many Dallas fans were upset management let go of Mabrey, Allisha Gray, and Harrison.
However, the lack of offensive talent has forced Sabally to do more as she, Arike, and Howard are the true offensive options on this team.
I wonder how the dynamic will change when Deshields (a top 10 usage player) comes back from injury.
What was the preseason expectation Dallas?

Stating the obvious here, but LV is a wagon! That game in CT yesterday was awesome.
@SHowley2003
workingclasscards
HB Member

SHowley2003 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:47 am
workingclasscards wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:00 am Sabally is finally playing like the star people assumed she would be from day one.
What was the preseason expectation Dallas?

Stating the obvious here, but LV is a wagon! That game in CT yesterday was awesome.
Dallas lost a lot of their talent last off season (Mabrey, Allisha Gray, Harrison, Kayla Thornton) due to cap limits so I was thinking they would have a similar record to Minnesota (1-5).
I'm surprised Dallas is currently .500 this year, its mostly due to Sabally doubling her offensive output from 11 PPG to 22 PPG.
SHowley2003
HB Member

Post by SHowley2003 »

Wow! What a game from CT and DeWanna Bonner tonight! An MVP level performance. 41 pts is a career high and a CT franchise records. Huge win.

When the Sun traded JJ and Thomas in the off-season, coming off the finals loss, I was convinced they were on track for a full roster reset. Especially given the salary situation they were in. I was shocked they kept Bonner. It's great to see they've managed to give more opportunities to players like Brionna Jones while using the trades to better balance their roster. It also seems like they may have seen something with JJ that made them feel she simply wasn't worth the salary, and they could better allocate those resources.
@SHowley2003
mjs_sportscards
HB Member

Post by mjs_sportscards »

I finally sprung for WNBA league pass this season. I didn't really have a team going in, but I reached out to Nekias Duncan (who does great NBA and WNBA coverage) and asked what players had an on/off court vibe close to my NBA PC player Jrue Holiday. He and others immediately pointed to Natasha Cloud and the Mystics, and I've really enjoyed following her and the team so far.

Interests: Jrue Holiday, Jordan Clarkson, Natasha Cloud, Lakers, Filipino athletes, Galactic, 1996 Autographics
PaulKatcher
HB Member

Post by PaulKatcher »

This is my first year as a New York Liberty full-season ticket holder. (I've had full season tickets with the Nets since KD and Kyrie arrived, so Barclays Center is my hoops home year-round.)

Before last year, when I attended a few Liberty games and got hooked, my women's basketball fandom was limited to college basketball and the Olympics, but I'm watching plenty of the pros now. I'm happy to support the WNBA with my time, money and respect.

Just getting started with my WNBA collecting, so not much to report ... yet.

Here's a pic I made from my seats in Sec. 25 of Breanna Stewart on her way to a Liberty single-game record 45 points in the home-opener.

Brooklyn Nets and New York Liberty season-ticket holder, fan of the New York Giants, Yankees and Syracuse University sports
Collector since my teen years in the '80s, now collecting modern singles
See my cards on Instagram and my COMC store.
workingclasscards
HB Member

PaulKatcher wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:45 pm This is my first year as a New York Liberty full-season ticket holder. (I've had full season tickets with the Nets since KD and Kyrie arrived, so Barclays Center is my hoops home year-round.)

Before last year, when I attended a few Liberty games and got hooked, my women's basketball fandom was limited to college basketball and the Olympics, but I'm watching plenty of the pros now. I'm happy to support the WNBA with my time, money and respect.

Just getting started with my WNBA collecting, so not much to report ... yet.

Here's a pic I made from my seats in Sec. 25 of Breanna Stewart on her way to a Liberty single-game record 45 points in the home-opener.

Breanna Stewart is heads and shoulders best player in the WNBA.
The problem with collecting her is that Rittenhouse made 500 sets a year so her rookie is SP, not many for sale at any given time.

To contribute to this thread, I made a top 5 Candace Parker card video

workingclasscards
HB Member

Breanna Stewart SGC 5 just sold for $527.27 with real bids
Seems like a lot, but she only has ~500 copies made so each one goes for a premium.
Last raw sale was ~$900 if I recall
workingclasscards
HB Member

Galactics I'm sending to PSA