What is with all these versions of Topps Chrome?

Baseball cards and sports talk
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 51 times

What is with all these versions of Topps Chrome?

Post by SacKingsCards »

The two I know of are Topps Chrome Black and Topps Chrome Cosmic. I'm not really well versed in baseball products, but I know Chrome Black only has four cards including one auto. Are the base cards and parallels somehow related to the standard Topps Chrome set? Or are these completely separate sets that are just called Topps Black to move product?
volumeaccumulation
HB Supporter
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What is with all these versions of Topps Chrome?

Post by volumeaccumulation »

Was wondering the same thing. It's crazy how many different versions there is now. I don't even pay attention to any of them besides the regualr Topps Chrome.
Lamplighter42
HB Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What is with all these versions of Topps Chrome?

Post by Lamplighter42 »

Topps Chrome Black and Topps Cosmic Chrome are totally separate products from plain ol' Topps Chrome, "Chrome" just means they're printed on chrome (plastic) card stock. Black and Cosmic have different checklists, base images, inserts, etc.

There are a bunch of sets related to normal Topps Chrome though - in 2022 there was Topps Chrome, Ben Baller, Logofractor, Sapphire, and Sonic, plus Chrome Update and Update Sapphire, all of which had the same base images as Topps Chrome but with different parallel designs, adding up to more versions of the same card than 2021-22 Prizm Basketball.