Anyone sell on COMC?

Basketball cards and sports talk
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Anyone sell on COMC?

Post by AbraCalabro »

Got a stack of stuff I'm not sure to do with and want to sell these on COMC. Is COMC still a decent place to sell. Any stories about experiences selling? Any recent experiences?
FrankAZHP
HB Member
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Anyone sell on COMC?

Post by FrankAZHP »

I do, but I haven't sent anything in so I can't speak for the cost of adding a new item. Everything I'm selling on there or have sold on there in the past is stuff I bought from their eBay auctions or on the site directly which doesn't require an upfront listing fee.

I like it but I'm not a heavy seller and keep my prices a bit high because I don't care about selling quick. Storage per month is only 1 cent per card and I've got about 150 items up, so it costs me $1.50/mo, but that's paid off x2 or x3 months when I sell 1 card for a profit.

Only thing I'd recommend is make sure what you're sending in to sell doesn't already have a ton of listings for each particular card and avoid base. It's great for low numbered parallels and such.
*Collector since 1990 *Nothing for sale *Cards ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ€ ๐Ÿคผ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŽ๏ธ *Comics ๐Ÿ’€ *Games ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ–ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ–ฑ๏ธ*Music ๐ŸŽต ๐Ÿ’ฟ *Movies ๐Ÿ“ผ ๐Ÿ’ฟ
I make videos on my collection, mail times, card show walkthrus, and more: www.youtube.com/frankazhpcollectibles
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

Awesome, dude. Thanks for the insight.
Deadshot
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Deadshot »

I like to send stuff there that's valued $5 and higher. I can't tell you much about cashing out because I always just end up spending my credit. A lot of my sales are cards that are crossposted to eBay from the platform. For example, if the lowest priced copy of a particular card is $45 but on sale on COMC for $20, it will show up on eBay a little higher than the $45 price. So in some cases, you can price cards higher than the lowest copy on COMC and it will still sell. It just takes a little bit of time to get used to it.
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

Deadshot wrote: โ†‘Thu May 30, 2024 1:20 pm I like to send stuff there that's valued $5 and higher. I can't tell you much about cashing out because I always just end up spending my credit. A lot of my sales are cards that are crossposted to eBay from the platform. For example, if the lowest priced copy of a particular card is $45 but on sale on COMC for $20, it will show up on eBay a little higher than the $45 price. So in some cases, you can price cards higher than the lowest copy on COMC and it will still sell. It just takes a little bit of time to get used to it.
Is there a fee to have them cross post a card on eBay?
Deadshot
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Deadshot »

I think everything posts on eBay and they just take the same 5% final value fee they would normally deduct if you sell on site. This is after the normal submission fees as well.
@cp
HB Member
Been liked: 11 times

Post by @cp »

AbraCalabro wrote: โ†‘Sun May 19, 2024 3:44 pm Got a stack of stuff I'm not sure to do with and want to sell these on COMC. Is COMC still a decent place to sell. Any stories about experiences selling? Any recent experiences?
Hey Abra,

I just recently lowered my remaining inventory on there to get rid of it after not selling for so long. You can DM me or ask here on the process. I work better if you ask me the questions, because there can be a lot to cover. However the breakdown is like this.

1. Send cards to COMC (You'll need to create a submission form)
2. They will scan each card and charge your fees based on each card. I think it's 50 cents for each standard card now. There is a minimum submission charge, btw.
3. Once cards are scanned and ready for sale, you set your prices in your 'Inventory Manager' Page.
4. Once card is sold, you get the money after COMC takes their 5% cut.
5. You can leave the money in your account to spend later on other cards or you can cash out via paypal or cheque. If you do paypal, they will charge your 10%.

There is obviously more, but I can type forever on my experience with them. Overall I am content with the process, however be prepared for cards taking a long time to sell or not sell at all. You should also have values beyond a few dollars to make it worth your while, because after fees and such you could lose money. Anyway, good luck.
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

Deadshot wrote: โ†‘Fri May 31, 2024 2:49 pm I think everything posts on eBay and they just take the same 5% final value fee they would normally deduct if you sell on site. This is after the normal submission fees as well.
nice dude, so you get two platforms for the price of one? I like it.
@cp wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:14 am
AbraCalabro wrote: โ†‘Sun May 19, 2024 3:44 pm Got a stack of stuff I'm not sure to do with and want to sell these on COMC. Is COMC still a decent place to sell. Any stories about experiences selling? Any recent experiences?
Hey Abra,

I just recently lowered my remaining inventory on there to get rid of it after not selling for so long. You can DM me or ask here on the process. I work better if you ask me the questions, because there can be a lot to cover. However the breakdown is like this.

1. Send cards to COMC (You'll need to create a submission form)
2. They will scan each card and charge your fees based on each card. I think it's 50 cents for each standard card now. There is a minimum submission charge, btw.
3. Once cards are scanned and ready for sale, you set your prices in your 'Inventory Manager' Page.
4. Once card is sold, you get the money after COMC takes their 5% cut.
5. You can leave the money in your account to spend later on other cards or you can cash out via paypal or cheque. If you do paypal, they will charge your 10%.

There is obviously more, but I can type forever on my experience with them. Overall I am content with the process, however be prepared for cards taking a long time to sell or not sell at all. You should also have values beyond a few dollars to make it worth your while, because after fees and such you could lose money. Anyway, good luck.
Hey dude, much appreciated. I'm thinking of sending in some graded cards which have sold for close to 1k on eBay. I've seen cards in this range listed on comc and they basically NEVER moved, well...the ones I was looking at anyway. I've also noticed that a lot of cards are massively over priced on COMC (eBay too), but one eBay when they go to auction they sell for considerably less than BIN listings.

Should I list high initially and see offers? If so does COMC charge anything for changing the initial listing price?

Also, do you think that sending to a consignor and selling on eBay would be better for higher value cards?

For the NON-graded cards I'd be sending in they would fall into the 5 dollar +/- range and some that would probably be around 20-100+

I guess my biggest concern is sending them a bunch of cards, going through that whole process and the stuff just stagnating, so I guess my main question is, if I price them right, will they move? Seems like an obvious question/answer, but different platforms and selling methods can have their quirks. I have no problem undercutting other sellers who massively overprice their stuff.
@cp
HB Member

Post by @cp »

My answers in bold/italic

Hey dude, much appreciated. I'm thinking of sending in some graded cards which have sold for close to 1k on eBay. I've seen cards in this range listed on comc and they basically NEVER moved, well...the ones I was looking at anyway. I've also noticed that a lot of cards are massively over priced on COMC (eBay too), but one eBay when they go to auction they sell for considerably less than BIN listings.
Yeah tons of cards are overpriced on COMC. People don't want to sell and tend to leave their stuff at high prices. It only costs them 1 penny a month per card for storage fees. So often times it sits there forever. It only costs them 12 cents a year. I believe selling on ebay via COMC has different commissions rates for auctions. Sellers who move inventory quickly, price things accurately to move product and get money. Others don't care too much and are willing to sit on it. One way is not better than the other, it's just how you want to sell your stuff.

Should I list high initially and see offers? If so does COMC charge anything for changing the initial listing price?
My personal philosophy is list higher and adjust accordingly. Whenever I list something and it sells quickly, I always second guess my initial offer. However if it has been sitting there forever (my last remaining cards for years now lol) I just dumped them at low prices to get rid of them. Better to get some money, than no money. COMC doesn't charge for your price changes. They only take commission when your item sells. 5% of whatever the sold price was.

Also, do you think that sending to a consignor and selling on eBay would be better for higher value cards?
I've never done this myself, but I know others who have. for higher end cards, this could better route. Especially if the consignor is a big name. They have their following and sometimes can get you more money. They also have their own rates too, so whatever company you decide to go with be sure to check the rates. You should know that COMC also lists your cards on ebay, but buying on the COMC site is more advantageous.

For the NON-graded cards I'd be sending in they would fall into the 5 dollar +/- range and some that would probably be around 20-100+
I would say this is good. COMC is great for cards in the 5-100 dollar range. Lots of buyers can grow their collections and save lots of money on shipping fees. You can consolidate your purchases and decide which cards you want to have shipped to you in one go. You can't do that with ebay.

I guess my biggest concern is sending them a bunch of cards, going through that whole process and the stuff just stagnating, so I guess my main question is, if I price them right, will they move? Seems like an obvious question/answer, but different platforms and selling methods can have their quirks. I have no problem undercutting other sellers who massively overprice their stuff.
I would say if you price them right, they will move quickly. Other factors come into play as well. ie player, type of card, insert, rarity etc. people that buy on COMC are a step above casual collectors; so they are always looking for ways to save and build their pc. It's not your random person buying a card on ebay. It's the collectors and set buyers looking to buy X player to finish their random year set. I would suggest you look up some of your cards that you want to sell and see what the going rates are on COMC. If there are hundreds of that one card, maybe think twice about it. If you decide that it is not working out, you can always ask for the cards back (for a fee of course). However for me, I went in with the notion that if I never see these cards again, I'd be okay with that.

Let me know if you have any other questions with your thought process or the actual operations of selling on COMC.
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

@cp wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:43 pm My answers in bold/italic

Yeah tons of cards are overpriced on COMC. People don't want to sell and tend to leave their stuff at high prices. It only costs them 1 penny a month per card for storage fees. So often times it sits there forever. It only costs them 12 cents a year. I believe selling on ebay via COMC has different commissions rates for auctions. Sellers who move inventory quickly, price things accurately to move product and get money. Others don't care too much and are willing to sit on it. One way is not better than the other, it's just how you want to sell your stuff.

My personal philosophy is list higher and adjust accordingly. Whenever I list something and it sells quickly, I always second guess my initial offer. However if it has been sitting there forever (my last remaining cards for years now lol) I just dumped them at low prices to get rid of them. Better to get some money, than no money. COMC doesn't charge for your price changes. They only take commission when your item sells. 5% of whatever the sold price was.

I've never done this myself, but I know others who have. for higher end cards, this could better route. Especially if the consignor is a big name. They have their following and sometimes can get you more money. They also have their own rates too, so whatever company you decide to go with be sure to check the rates. You should know that COMC also lists your cards on ebay, but buying on the COMC site is more advantageous.

I would say this is good. COMC is great for cards in the 5-100 dollar range. Lots of buyers can grow their collections and save lots of money on shipping fees. You can consolidate your purchases and decide which cards you want to have shipped to you in one go. You can't do that with ebay.

I would say if you price them right, they will move quickly. Other factors come into play as well. ie player, type of card, insert, rarity etc. people that buy on COMC are a step above casual collectors; so they are always looking for ways to save and build their pc. It's not your random person buying a card on ebay. It's the collectors and set buyers looking to buy X player to finish their random year set. I would suggest you look up some of your cards that you want to sell and see what the going rates are on COMC. If there are hundreds of that one card, maybe think twice about it. If you decide that it is not working out, you can always ask for the cards back (for a fee of course). However for me, I went in with the notion that if I never see these cards again, I'd be okay with that.

Let me know if you have any other questions with your thought process or the actual operations of selling on COMC.
Dude this is SOLID. Thank you.

I'm going to send the higher end stuff to a consignor and the rest to COMC. I did a quick look at some of the stuff I'm sending in and I'm going to have an easy time undercutting some of these delusional listings. I am on board with your philosophy, better to get some money, than no money. Listing cards is of no use if you're not moving the cards lol - a lot of people don't get that.
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

Question on the below:
Fresh Pulls - Save 50% off Select processing fees for trading cards received within 90 days of their initial hobby release. Full details here
Suitable for single trading cards valued less than $50. There is a $2 fee to list a card for more than $100. At our discretion, we may upgrade items valued at $100 or more to the Elite processing service level for an additional $2 per item.
Cards are not eligible to list at auction on eBay. Use Elite processing for cards you may want to list at auction.
Add $0.50 for cards that need to be removed from a protective holder (e.g. toploader, pages, card saver, one touch). There is no additional charge for cards shipped in penny sleeves.
Add $0.50 for third-party graded cards and cards encased with a manufacturer seal.
Add $3 for oversized cards larger than 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"
I see there is an option for 'Elite' submission for cards that I may want to list on auction (bidding) on eBay, however, I don't want to auction them with bidders, just cross post COMC/ eBay BIN.

The line in bold, when they say 'auction' do they mean, literally auction with bidders, or do they mean 'auction' as being listed on eBay in BIN format, or any other format altogether? Just want to be extra sure.

I'm understanding this as auction with bidders, which this submission will not be eligible for, however, the cards WILL still be cross posted on eBay at BIN. Is that correct?
FrankAZHP
HB Member
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by FrankAZHP »

AbraCalabro wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:13 pm I see there is an option for 'Elite' submission for cards that I may want to list on auction (bidding) on eBay, however, I don't want to auction them with bidders, just cross post COMC/ eBay BIN.

The line in bold, when they say 'auction' do they mean, literally auction with bidders, or do they mean 'auction' as being listed on eBay in BIN format, or any other format altogether? Just want to be extra sure.

I'm understanding this as auction with bidders, which this submission will not be eligible for, however, the cards WILL still be cross posted on eBay at BIN. Is that correct?
You are understanding correctly. You don't want the option to auction.

As I'm sure you've seen by now COMC also does auctioning items on eBay from the COMC account (basically like the usual consignment services). Selecting the normal COMC listing that does not include an auction will just list it on COMC at your price, which will give a BIN option for the card on eBay.
*Collector since 1990 *Nothing for sale *Cards ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ€ ๐Ÿคผ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŽ๏ธ *Comics ๐Ÿ’€ *Games ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ–ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ–ฑ๏ธ*Music ๐ŸŽต ๐Ÿ’ฟ *Movies ๐Ÿ“ผ ๐Ÿ’ฟ
I make videos on my collection, mail times, card show walkthrus, and more: www.youtube.com/frankazhpcollectibles
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

FrankAZHP wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:36 pm
AbraCalabro wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:13 pm I see there is an option for 'Elite' submission for cards that I may want to list on auction (bidding) on eBay, however, I don't want to auction them with bidders, just cross post COMC/ eBay BIN.

You are understanding correctly. You don't want the option to auction.

As I'm sure you've seen by now COMC also does auctioning items on eBay from the COMC account (basically like the usual consignment services). Selecting the normal COMC listing that does not include an auction will just list it on COMC at your price, which will give a BIN option for the card on eBay.
Sweet, thank you. Just wanted to be extra sure, because the language was a little vague, but went in the direction of what you explained and you cleared things up. Much appreciated.
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

Hey guys, sorry, one last thing. So I have one card that I'll be listing over 100 dollars, that's part of the "Elite" High End Consignment Service tier. I also have other cards that I'd be listing up to 100 dollars. Finally I have cards that are 20 bucks at most. So, I have three different categories like this:

High End Consignment Services (2 week turnaround)
Exactly 1 | Raw - Trading Cards | with an estimated value of x (over 100)

Consignment Services
Select (2 week turnaround)
Exactly 9 | Raw - Trading Cards | with an estimated value of x

Standard (16 week turnaround)
Exactly 20 | Raw - Trading Cards | with an estimated value of x

The one high end card is going to ship in a top loader, or a magnetic, I can cut and tape the corresponding portion of the print-out to the top loader/magnetic.

The rest of them will be in penny sleeves. In general, what's the best way to mark these for their appropriate service levels? I read the FAQ on COMC, but what do you guys do?

Can I put the 'Select' level stuff in a team bag on their own and then the 'Standard' level stuff in their own team bag, then cut / tape the corresponding portion of the print-out onto each appropriate team bag? Can I just fold the corresponding portion and include it in the appropriate team bag?

Do they charge extra for removing them (the cards) from the team bag? I can't exactly tape the corresponding portion of the print-out to a bunch of sleeved cards unless they're contained in a team bag.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks guys.
@cp
HB Member

Post by @cp »

AbraCalabro wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:12 pm Hey guys, sorry, one last thing. So I have one card that I'll be listing over 100 dollars, that's part of the "Elite" High End Consignment Service tier. I also have other cards that I'd be listing up to 100 dollars. Finally I have cards that are 20 bucks at most. So, I have three different categories like this:

High End Consignment Services (2 week turnaround)
Exactly 1 | Raw - Trading Cards | with an estimated value of x (over 100)

Consignment Services
Select (2 week turnaround)
Exactly 9 | Raw - Trading Cards | with an estimated value of x

Standard (16 week turnaround)
Exactly 20 | Raw - Trading Cards | with an estimated value of x

The one high end card is going to ship in a top loader, or a magnetic, I can cut and tape the corresponding portion of the print-out to the top loader/magnetic.

The rest of them will be in penny sleeves. In general, what's the best way to mark these for their appropriate service levels? I read the FAQ on COMC, but what do you guys do?

Can I put the 'Select' level stuff in a team bag on their own and then the 'Standard' level stuff in their own team bag, then cut / tape the corresponding portion of the print-out onto each appropriate team bag? Can I just fold the corresponding portion and include it in the appropriate team bag?

Do they charge extra for removing them (the cards) from the team bag? I can't exactly tape the corresponding portion of the print-out to a bunch of sleeved cards unless they're contained in a team bag.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks guys.
I think COMC recommends you to only put your cards into penny sleeves. Anything else and they may charge you extra for handling fees. It might be worth it though, if the card is something you want to protect. I'd recommend you making a complete list of what you submitted. You never know, imagine millions of cards in their processing facilities, some of it has to get lost in sorting. I believe when you created your submission form, they should be able to know the value of the items submitted based off of that. Be sure to check that before submitting.
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

@cp wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:30 pm
I think COMC recommends you to only put your cards into penny sleeves. Anything else and they may charge you extra for handling fees. It might be worth it though, if the card is something you want to protect. I'd recommend you making a complete list of what you submitted. You never know, imagine millions of cards in their processing facilities, some of it has to get lost in sorting. I believe when you created your submission form, they should be able to know the value of the items submitted based off of that. Be sure to check that before submitting.
Got it. Thanks dude. Getting ready to finally ship these off next week.