Is there anything from the 90s that's currently "worth it" ?

Basketball cards and sports talk
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Is there anything from the 90s that's currently "worth it" ?

Post by AbraCalabro »

Everything I look at, venturing into "new to me sets" is so freaking high. Any one else just having second thoughts about "pulling the trigger" when they see cards they like, or have been looking for? Maybe it's just me.

Skybox 3D...what the F happened to this one lol.
Warp Zone is neat...but wow on the prices for something that isn't a social media darling.

Just saying...
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: Is there anything from the 90s that's currently "worth it" ?

Post by darz90scardz »

Because of the lack of serial numbering on 90% of inserts, people have really been diving deep into pack and player specific pack odds. Maybe this has been at least a small contributor? Because I’ve noticed the same with set prices that not long ago were more attainable.

It’s cool for more people to discover new sets this way but it’s obviously a downside for a c’lectah. We’ve had the added benefit of already having a rough idea on what were rare pulls from collecting at release, guess this is just what happens with others. I get it but yea. Less cardz5me.
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

Yeah i'd say in the last 6 months or so i've only won a single 90's card on eBay. Prices have definitely gotten pretty out of hand.

I think it's a combination of new (returning?) entrants that grew up in the 90's wanting these cards, and certain cards/sets getting pumped on social media. For the less known/pumped sets it could also be the first category of people getting priced out of the more popular cards and searching for something else they can buy, thus just bringing up prices on 90's cards in general.

I still go after my set needs but i've been "pre"-sniping everything with a max bid using gixen.com. I'll throw in what I consider a reasonable bid and if I don't win it, oh well.. I'm not paying "IG showoff" prices lol

I've gotten more into 2000's era sets/parallels nowadays tbh. Generally cheaper and the pumpers haven't hit many of the cool 2000's stuff. Yet..
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
dengbang
HB Supporter
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by dengbang »

Agree with everything being said so far. I haven't won or traded for a 90s insert in a long time. I've wanted to add a 1997 Skybox Premium Thunder and Lightning MJ but even with the common surface issues, they are still selling for a couple thousand dollars...

I think people are just moving their money around to different sectors of the hobby. There was Prizm, then RPAs, Kabooms, and now its 90s. It's a falling knife and unless you had these cards to begin with, don't bother buying it right now. Most of us have seen which cards had the most hobby love and it sure ain't a 1998 NBA Hoops Starting Five Parallel. Even the newly coveted 1996 Credentials weren't a grail card for most collectors.

There's a ton of new money coming in but they're just following what others are doing, hoping to make some money. If it were a collectors market, having jersey pieces that have no association with any player or event would not slide. We'd have pitch forks out ready to storm Panini HQ.

It's tough if you're solely a 90s collector but there's plenty of cheaper cards of current players to buy if you still watch/enjoy NBA basketball.
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

I can't comment on the prices of 90s stuff because I don't collect a lot of (or really any) 90s, but I hope anyone that collects 90s can find affordable ways to add great cards to their collections. One example that might not be for everyone: the Jason Williams Stadium Club RC auto I posted in the mailday thread. I couldn't find a reasonable price on a parallel to that base card, so I paid a fraction of what was listed, and I believe what I'd have to pay to get one, to get an autographed version. I know not everyone likes IP autos, but if you're creative, you may be able to find something that works for you. I'll still look out for a parallel, but I certainly won't feel as pressured to pay up for it.
mindcycle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am I've gotten more into 2000's era sets/parallels nowadays tbh. Generally cheaper and the pumpers haven't hit many of the cool 2000's stuff. Yet..
That's exactly what I was hoping to make the overlooked cards thread for! *hint hint*
siuwongkee
HB Supporter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by siuwongkee »

I only buy 90s parallel, low to mid ends I suppose. Are they worthy? Honestly, I do not know. I can only say, it MUST BE better than spending 50-80k a year on apps game for the last 10-15 years. (99% of those apps shut down already) I can only parallel buying cards now with buying Yugioh OCG, almost EVERY purchase you did in the past 10 years,due to Konami's business model, you are lucky if you can retain the value, and most of the time a 30-50% drop of the card value. (In the end TCG is more complicated, because card value is also relative to whether the card is useful at a meta. ) And to me I am ok with this as long as I ENJOY the process. (I put collecting at the entertainment for my budget)

So what will I feel, for intsance, I got 3 copies of Tim Duncan Profiles 3 at $2400 (a BGS 9.5) $1500 and $1600 (BGS 9) and now the market tanked and a BGS 9's market value is $500? I mean, since I have the experience of playing apps game, I feel like, I do not mind that, if I am still collecting (which I doubt I will keep collecting for other reasons) I will buy every freaking copy I see at $500. (I am actually buying more copies if it is around $1000 - $1800).

Why? Because, maybe this is just me, 97 and 98 parallels are historical. (They are THE 2 best years for parallels, maybe I am wrong since I do not have a lot of interest in parallels of 90s stars in the 00 eras, I suppose 00 is the relic eras with a lot of RPA and Auto and so on) Like if you ask me if the 1997 Championship Rodman PMG worth 40k? My answer is YES because we have not seen that on the market and we know for certain there are only 50 copies and we do not know how many are active. (And I am quite sure, if the second appears, some people will buy it to make sure 90s card market looks good)

What I think not worth it about 90s parallels are the not so limited copies with a PSA 10. Most of the collectors rank a PSA 10 of a card with at least 400 copies than a PSA 9 card with 50/100 copies and I think it is a belief people are preaching. And it only make sense if grading is consistent, transparant and up to date. Like using Timmy Profiles 3 as an example, we see a PSA 10 sold for $5k, but it is heavily chipped at the corners. (It might be a 10 but it is not a 10) The same things go with the Finest Embossed Refrators, people pay higher for a higher grade with more greening than a lower grade with less greening.
FB: siuwongkee
IG: siuwongkee