Let's apprciate the 90s low-mid end Parallels

Basketball cards and sports talk
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 160 times

Re: Let's apprciate the 90s low-mid end Parallels

Post by AbraCalabro »

siuwongkee wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:26 am WhatsApp Image 2023-07-06 at 14.31.42.jpg

I think this is my favourite low-mid end parallel from the 90s. Hand written number, cool die cut and shinny. I like it so much when my cards were graded by BGS and I saw a Duncan 9.5 on Ebay, I tried bidding it. Just to see how BGS defined a 9.5 SP authentic profiles 3.
I'm not sure those are low end lol, I wish they were. I'd love to add more of these at some point when I start paying attention to cards again and actively collecting. In the meantime, I have one of my favorite player. Will share later.
siuwongkee
HB Supporter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by siuwongkee »

AbraCalabro wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:28 am
siuwongkee wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:26 am WhatsApp Image 2023-07-06 at 14.31.42.jpg

I think this is my favourite low-mid end parallel from the 90s. Hand written number, cool die cut and shinny. I like it so much when my cards were graded by BGS and I saw a Duncan 9.5 on Ebay, I tried bidding it. Just to see how BGS defined a 9.5 SP authentic profiles 3.
I'm not sure those are low end lol, I wish they were. I'd love to add more of these at some point when I start paying attention to cards again and actively collecting. In the meantime, I have one of my favorite player. Will share later.
I never know how to define what is high/mid/low. But I just feel most of the UD related parallels from 97 and 98 are usually having less attentions from collectors. The only exception should be the Grand Finale and the Starquest. So I assume it is save to say these are low-mid ends.
FB: siuwongkee
IG: siuwongkee
MAMASCOOKINPC
HB Member

Post by MAMASCOOKINPC »

Some of these cards are not low end or mid end lol. I feel poor 😭
Last edited by MAMASCOOKINPC on Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
BIG KWAME BROWN (Anything I’m missing)
Shawn Kemp (90s inserts only)
Marbury (PSA graded cards and a few 90s Monsters)
IG: @mamascookinpc
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

siuwongkee wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:39 am

I never know how to define what is high/mid/low. But I just feel most of the UD related parallels from 97 and 98 are usually having less attentions from collectors. The only exception should be the Grand Finale and the Starquest. So I assume it is save to say these are low-mid ends.
I usually define them by the tier they were in upon release. So SPA when released was part of UDs higher end releases. However, if you compare by modern attention/prices then they may not be as high end. I just remember when you could get these Profiles 3 cards /100 for less than 100 dollars and very cheap for some of the non-popular players. I don't think the super popular players were ever that cheap, at least I don't recall seeing those prices for them, but the mid-tier guys were easy and even the super popular ones were a few hundred bucks at most. Either way, those are some of my favorite parallels, I saw someone who completed the set a while back, it was great to see, but he built the set many years ago - it would be super expensive to do so now. :(
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

siuwongkee
HB Supporter

Post by siuwongkee »

AbraCalabro wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:57 pm

I usually define them by the tier they were in upon release. So SPA when released was part of UDs higher end releases. However, if you compare by modern attention/prices then they may not be as high end. I just remember when you could get these Profiles 3 cards /100 for less than 100 dollars and very cheap for some of the non-popular players. I don't think the super popular players were ever that cheap, at least I don't recall seeing those prices for them, but the mid-tier guys were easy and even the super popular ones were a few hundred bucks at most. Either way, those are some of my favorite parallels, I saw someone who completed the set a while back, it was great to see, but he built the set many years ago - it would be super expensive to do so now. :(
I always love profiles 3. (I think I have in total 7 cards from this set, which if I only have around 120 cards from my 98-99 collection, is a lot) Die cut cards are very cool. But I am not going to lie, skybox did a good job on the parallel. I will put things like this

1: Skybox, more complex backgrounds and effects
2: UD, clean and a less is more design. (Which I think is good for Auto cards)
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

Nice, forgot you had that Kemp. Such a great photo too.
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

siuwongkee wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:33 am

I always love profiles 3. (I think I have in total 7 cards from this set, which if I only have around 120 cards from my 98-99 collection, is a lot) Die cut cards are very cool. But I am not going to lie, skybox did a good job on the parallel. I will put things like this

I agree with your assessment. The Skybox / Fleer effects on their parallels stood out, but the thing is the designs are very basic and it's basically patterns borrowed from wrapping paper lol.

UD had better design and photography overall, they did amazing things with simple lines and shapes as seen on these Profiles 3 cards and also you are correct, UD has the best designs for autographs as well. Also consider parallels like Diamond Dimensions, SPx Finite Spectrum, absolutely stunning cards, which I personally like more than Skybox because the overall presentation is better. Also their earlier Game Jersey cards had amazing designs that put focus on the game used jersey pieces and later on they did patches.
darz90scardz wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:40 am Nice, forgot you had that Kemp. Such a great photo too.
Yeah lol, one of the rare cards that doesn't have a horrible photo of the Reignman. You actually see him in his element here.
siuwongkee
HB Supporter

Post by siuwongkee »

AbraCalabro wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:40 pm
siuwongkee wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:33 am

I agree with your assessment. The Skybox / Fleer effects on their parallels stood out, but the thing is the designs are very basic and it's basically patterns borrowed from wrapping paper lol.

UD had better design and photography overall, they did amazing things with simple lines and shapes as seen on these Profiles 3 cards and also you are correct, UD has the best designs for autographs as well. Also consider parallels like Diamond Dimensions, SPx Finite Spectrum, absolutely stunning cards, which I personally like more than Skybox because the overall presentation is better. Also their earlier Game Jersey cards had amazing designs that put focus on the game used jersey pieces and later on they did patches.
darz90scardz wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:40 am Nice, forgot you had that Kemp. Such a great photo too.
Yeah lol, one of the rare cards that doesn't have a horrible photo of the Reignman. You actually see him in his element here.
Get what you mean. I think skybox tries a lot of EFFECTS. But when I say effects, they were just different types of foil and to people like me whom love foils, they are eye catching.

But if you say in turns of caturing players action on a card, UD usually used a more memoriable photo of a player and these make the card looks great. Like recently I realize how great the Fleer Classic 61 of Iverson is, it captured duncan trying to block iverson from a shot overhead. I am like oh wow, what a great piece of photo and I am determined to find this into my collection.