Embossing needs to make comback!

Basketball cards and sports talk
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Embossing needs to make comback!

Post by mindcycle »

From the subtle embossing of the 98 Ultra cards to the more extreme examples like the 97 Finest embossed refractor cards, I think this printing technology needs to make a comeback!

What do you guys think? Would one of the modern card manufacturers see increased sales if they stepped up their game and stopped being content with simply slapping a basic refractor finish on everything?

Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
dengbang
HB Supporter
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: Embossing needs to make comback!

Post by dengbang »

I'd love to see some of that heavy embossing similar to the Finest Embossed cards. Panini tried different designs early on but never all out embossed cards.
His Dudeness
HB Member

Post by His Dudeness »

Few things bring back the childlike excitement in this hobby for me like the feel and even sight of an embossed card. They need to make a full comeback
green_stiller
HB Member
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by green_stiller »

I love the Boss/Super Boss sets. Agreed, embossing is a great premium touch!
Primary chase - Lamar Odom RC set
PC - Lamar Odom
Deadshot
HB Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Deadshot »

I was just chatting with someone about how card designs alone aren't going to up the quality of current releases. The manufacturers have to be willing to print using the correct technology (which isn't cheap). Layered acetate, embossing, different foil board, etc. There's a reason the UD Retro stuff didn't compare to the original. It wasn't the design, it was the materials.
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by darz90scardz »

Deadshot wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:50 pm I was just chatting with someone about how card designs alone aren't going to up the quality of current releases. The manufacturers have to be willing to print using the correct technology (which isn't cheap). Layered acetate, embossing, different foil board, etc. There's a reason the UD Retro stuff didn't compare to the original. It wasn't the design, it was the materials.
Just recently on the Censorship Forums I lamented the same thing using Retro as the prime example. Not that Arena Design doesn’t deserve credit, but the fact Fleer/Skybox had the best, most varied manufacturing aspects of the big 3 brands certainly didn’t hurt.

And even though Finest had a couple of the nicest 2 embossed sets in the silver and gold…

…I think Skybox still wins in this area overall too

@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mindcycle »

dengbang wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:04 pm I'd love to see some of that heavy embossing similar to the Finest Embossed cards. Panini tried different designs early on but never all out embossed cards.
Same!
His Dudeness wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:09 pm Few things bring back the childlike excitement in this hobby for me like the feel and even sight of an embossed card. They need to make a full comeback
100%
green_stiller wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:19 pm I love the Boss/Super Boss sets. Agreed, embossing is a great premium touch!
Yeah those Boss/Super boss cards were awesome. Still have a few in one of my 90's binders.
Deadshot wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:50 pm I was just chatting with someone about how card designs alone aren't going to up the quality of current releases. The manufacturers have to be willing to print using the correct technology (which isn't cheap). Layered acetate, embossing, different foil board, etc. There's a reason the UD Retro stuff didn't compare to the original. It wasn't the design, it was the materials.
100% Some of the modern designs are actually quite nice but it's the cheap printing tech that hinders their potential.
darz90scardz wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:22 pm Just recently on the Censorship Forums I lamented the same thing using Retro as the prime example. Not that Arena Design doesn’t deserve credit, but the fact Fleer/Skybox had the best, most varied manufacturing aspects of the big 3 brands certainly didn’t hurt.
Yeah exactly man. The recent Metal re-release could have been a lot closer to the originals if they didn't just print the cards on cheap card stock. I was so disappointed when I saw some of that stuff.

This Jordan cut above could have been a cool card with some subtle embossing, additional layers, something..
firefox_rKLpNwFfW6.png
firefox_rKLpNwFfW6.png (412.93 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
Instead it a just looks like a cheap imitation someone made with their home printer.
Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
siuwongkee
HB Supporter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by siuwongkee »

Someone asked what brought me into the hobby. I was a huge fans of Carddass of Bandai. (Like DBZ and especially SD gundam). The appeal of Sport Cards to me has always been the dynamic pose with a retro shinny embossing background. Like this Iverson (My wife said it was a very ugly card) It is a perfect example of why I like the 90s cards.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-14 at 13.23.37.jpg
FB: siuwongkee
IG: siuwongkee
Lamplighter42
HB Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lamplighter42 »

The chrome stock obsession and, more importantly, the parallel explosion, eat up the budget required for those advanced print techniques. Chrome stock is more expensive than paper, first of all, but I think parallels are the worse offender. Remember, for each different color parallel that involves changing the main image*, like the various Mosaic Reactive parallels, you need a new set of printing plates! Multiply that by 20+ parallels and add seven different types of holofoil and 12 different runs on numbering machines, and that's where your budget for embossing, spot gloss, textured surfaces, etc. goes.

*Parallels that only involve changing the color of stamped foil don't need new plates, just different foil colors on the line. This is why Chronicles is loaded up with paper stock sets like Panini and Luminance that just change the foil color for parallels.
Cardiac kemba pc
HB Member
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Cardiac kemba pc »

100% agree embossing needs to make a swift return. Such an awesome feature!

I fear the lack of competition again with fanatics we could see minimal innovation and this frightens me. Only time will tell.

Anyways here is my favourite embossed. The 97 finest gold embossed atomic/74
Attachments
20230715_092643.jpg
Searching for;
Rare Kemba Walker
Rare Glen Rice (hornets only)
Lamplighter42
HB Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lamplighter42 »

Panini does do a bit of embossing right now, mostly in Elite and Illusions. I haven't seen much in Topps products, though, which is a bad sign going forward.

MAMASCOOKINPC
HB Member

Post by MAMASCOOKINPC »

Panini has done some subtle embossing. Just off the top of my head, Crown round ball royalty (the Diamond pattern) Totally certified diecuts. They do feature some embossing but nothing like the 90s. There was more freedom to experiment. There was no budget for game used and autos were pennys on the dollar back then. The insert carried the product where as now it’s like a bonus
PC:
BIG KWAME BROWN (Anything I’m missing)
Shawn Kemp (90s inserts only)
Marbury (PSA graded cards and a few 90s Monsters)
IG: @mamascookinpc
MAMASCOOKINPC
HB Member

Post by MAMASCOOKINPC »

Lamplighter42 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:17 pm Panini does do a bit of embossing right now, mostly in Elite and Illusions. I haven't seen much in Topps products, though, which is a bad sign going forward.

Yes! Donruss elite, and illusions have some nice embossed diecuts
PC:
BIG KWAME BROWN (Anything I’m missing)
Shawn Kemp (90s inserts only)
Marbury (PSA graded cards and a few 90s Monsters)
IG: @mamascookinpc
dengbang
HB Supporter
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by dengbang »

Lamplighter42 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:17 pm Panini does do a bit of embossing right now, mostly in Elite and Illusions. I haven't seen much in Topps products, though, which is a bad sign going forward.

Some of the lower end products have great looking affordable inserts.
FrankAZHP
HB Member
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by FrankAZHP »

If we're gonna talk about embossed. We gotta talk about Action Packed.

When I was a kid I didn't appreciate the Action Packed HoF basketball cards that came out in 1993 or 1995, but I do now that I'm older and now that I collect HoFers.
And yes these are silver ink pack pulled autos of HoFers from 1995.
ImageImage

Imagine the impact that could have been made with a full Action Packed set release with current players at the time.
*Collector since 1990 *Nothing for sale *Cards 🏈🏀 🤼🏒🏎️ *Comics 💀 *Games 🎮🖥️🖱️*Music 🎵 💿 *Movies 📼 💿
I make videos on my collection, mail times, card show walkthrus, and more: www.youtube.com/frankazhpcollectibles